Any idea?

Started by FLNJBUM, September 09, 2022, 07:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLNJBUM

Picked this one up for free. Missing spool tensioner. Only markings are Japan on the reel foot. From what I can find it was sold by Kmart in the 70s??? Any info would help. Anyone know of a schematic for it? Sounds like broken glass when you turn the handle
I can explain it to you,  but i cant understand it for you

Shellbelly

I see a OC handle with a Penn 23-60 screw.  It's Barbie-Pink, that's for sure.  There's a OC lever.  5 oil ports?  That thing must get thirsty, huh?  It might be older than you think. 

Lots of reels came out of Japan during and after the reconstruction.  There are collectors that look for those made just after the war.  Narrow your search to post WWII Japanese fishing reels. 

Check ORCA articles/subjects.  Somebody over there was working on an article about post-war Japanese reels.

Many were "disposable", so some makes/models can be scarce. 

Take it apart! Let's see what's rattlin around in there.  Might find some U.S. Patent infringements.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

philaroman

K-Mart sold Olympic OEM knuckle-busters up to mid-80's...  prob. one of those

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Shellbelly on September 09, 2022, 08:56:55 PMREDACTED REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED
REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED
5 oil ports? Count agin there be 6    That thing must get thirsty, huh?  It might be older than you think. 

Take it apart! Let's see what's rattlin around in there.  Might find some U.S. Patent infringements.  I would bet Bait on it !!! lol

Quote from: philaroman on September 09, 2022, 09:19:34 PMK-Mart sold Olympic OEM knuckle-busters up to mid-80's...  prob. one of those
It;s  a Free Spool Knuckle Busters ain't

The  Pinkster Panther you have is a Damn Near Exackery Copy of the 1950's Ocean City 922 .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Shellbelly

Quote from: Wompus Cat on September 09, 2022, 09:40:42 PMREDACTED REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED
5 oil ports? Count agin there be 6  That thing must get thirsty, huh?  It might be older than you think. 
I was assuming he really wanted to know. ;D  I'd put it in Barbies lap and give it to my granddaughter.

I still wanna see inside.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)

FLNJBUM

Lmao you guys are hysterical.  It's more red in person, the lighting made it look pink..I haven't attempted to take the drive side apart. Gonna rain all weekend here in sunny gulf coast Florida, maybe I will crack it open and take a pic

FLNJBUM

Wompus Cat

Nope !
Not the same on either of your side plates

Your Reel is a copy of the Ocean City 922 .
The one Dennis is showing  in his Tutorial is an Ocean Side and completely different you will find inside .
Here are the ocean side side plates .Compare them to yours  (DIFFERENT)

Shellbelly

In any event, you brought it home, now you have to take care of it.  Shoulda never told me it wasn't pink. :'(

philaroman

I have a K-Mart 303 like the vid & Wompus' photos
the "not quite pink reel" seems smaller, simpler, cheaper, different plates
that's why I rushed to lump it in with the dinky K-Mart Olympic knuckle-busters

Wompus,
which is the OC 922 copy?
the 303, or the smaller(?) "not quite pink reel"?
thanks

Wompus Cat

Quote from: philaroman on September 10, 2022, 03:56:49 PMI have a K-Mart 303 like the vid & Wompus' photos
the "not quite pink reel" seems smaller, simpler, cheaper, different plates
that's why I rushed to lump it in with the dinky K-Mart Olympic knuckle-busters

Wompus,
which is the OC 922 copy?
the 303, or the smaller(?) "not quite pink reel"?
thanks

The one FLNJBUM has is a Duplicate of the Ocean City 922  from what I see and I have all the reels in question here to do a complete comparison when I get time .   

As SHELLBELLY posted there are a lot of Japanese knock off's to American made reels and Vice -Versa I have found by Seiko,Olympic,Daiwa ,and MANY lesser known names that were gobbled up by others like our Reel Companies here have done with the PURE Fishing conglomerate.

Your K-mart 303 is The Ocean SIDE REEL Brand  and is very Similar to the OCEAN CITY 944/945 . OCEAN SIDE  COPIED SOME PENN'S as well.

MORE L8TR when I find the Reels to compare to.

FLNJBUM

Hey wompus, do you think a 922 spool tension knob would fit on my knockoff reel? It's missing on mine and that's the only reason I haven't invested time in it.

philaroman

Quote from: Wompus Cat on September 10, 2022, 04:16:19 PMYour K-mart 303 is The Ocean SIDE REEL Brand  and is very Similar to the OCEAN CITY 944/945 . OCEAN SIDE  COPIED SOME PENN'S as well.

pretty sure the round 107/207/307 are the Penn knockoffs (also have 207)
always wondered what the teardrop 303 copied -- thanks for the info

Wompus Cat

Quote from: FLNJBUM on September 11, 2022, 10:55:09 PMHey wompus, do you think a 922 spool tension knob would fit on my knockoff reel? It's missing on mine and that's the only reason I haven't invested time in it.

922/923 the clicker side end caps are Female . Ocean Sides are Male  and you need to check on your knock off K-mart but I think it is also Male  so is the Kmart 207. Probably the Olympics and Heddon's of that era will work .