If you were on a deserted island/wilderness,one reel ?

Started by jgp12000, September 10, 2022, 05:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

The only so-called reality show we watch is "Alone" FYI-the contestants are dropped off alone to survive with only 10 items of their choice in the wilderness,whoever lasts the longest wins $500k.The only fishing equipment allowed are gill nets or fishing line maybe some hooks or they make their own.If you could choose only one combo for freshwater or surf fishing to survive,what would it be? 

Cor

Gill net will probably always out fish reel and line.  I presume your island to be somewhere with warm tropical water, so I would choose a 40lb beach rod of about 11 ft and a simple no maintenance reel like Shimano 20/40 or Daiwa SLOH. :d
Cornelis

Gfish

Prolly an 11-12' surf rod with a relatively light tip section in that I'd be using little rocks for weights insteada lead weights. And a DAM Quick Super 270 for dependability and durability. How much line and hooks could I have?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

jgp12000

Greg you can take as much line and hooks you need...what gets me on the show is how do they wake up w/o coffee that would be a deal breaker tap out 1st day.I believe since my mindset is freshwater I would take a DQ 330/6.5' Ugly Stik ,and should handle smaller surf fish.

foakes

If freshwater, a DQ 330 or 3001 coupled with a decent glass Fenwick at 7.5'.

Or a Cardinal 6 with the same rod.

Or a Penn 550SS with the same stick.

If saltwater —- a 10' glass spinning stick such as a Fenwick, Ugly Stik, or Kunnan —- coupled with a Penn 704 or 706, or a DQ Super 270 or a DQ 5001.

Spinners will get you out to where you need to be for survival fishing.  And the ability of simpler and tough, plus less finicky parts to break, and no plastics or graphites is a big plus.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

pjstevko

8-9' H spinning rod and 5000 sized reel with a white bucktail

Wompus Cat

It kinda depends on How Long I would be there .And since you did not specify AGE of the Rig ........
If like a Show for a couple of weeks and it had to be a Combo like you stated I would take and old ZEBCO ALL METAL 33 with Brass Gears and an 8 Foot Fiberglass Rod. No Bearings to freeze up and EASY to take apart to clean the sand and crap out of it you may get in it . No Way would I take a Reel with a Bail on it as too many parts to foul up and sand is a NO NO in the Sprigenwerks of the Bail for sure plus many  have Ball BEARINGS another NO NO where sand and salt meet .
If gonna be there many months my choice would be an Old Ocean City 923 and same rod as above , It Has a level wind BUT is easy to remove should it give you probs and that is about the only thing could mess up on it .
Most any of the Penns of that same era of course would be fine But I just like the Feel of the 922 Ocean City.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Shellbelly

Penn #9 on a medium 8-9' rod.  15# braid.  1 oz gold or silver spoon with a decent size hook that can be used for cut bait.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

JasonGotaProblem

I love that show. They can't actually bring a rod n reel (doesn't mean we can't muse on it) but I've seen people rig up what's essentially an alvey out of a branch and a spool of line and throw casts.

The show also reminds you that a fish will hit something made out of a piece of trash if they are hungry and you move it right. Or just leave it tied to a branch overnight.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.