Help removing a screw

Started by Gpag, September 12, 2022, 03:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gpag

Hi,

I need to remove the frozen screw in the photo.  You can see where there was some salt damage on the end of the bail so I expect that is part of the problem.  So far I have soaked it in vinegar for a day, I have run hot water over it and then put it in the freezer hoping expansion/contraction would help. My next idea is to drill into the center of the screw and see if I can extract it using a reverse thread screw.
Before I do that,  anyone have any other ideas?

JasonGotaProblem

I always wonder why I rarely hear of people using PB blaster on stuck reel screws. I feel like this might be a strong candidate for that. Personally I'd consider spraying it down with PB, then leaving it on top of some equipment that vibrates a lot (I'm thinking like a water pump or something) for a few hours then try again.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

happyhooker

Tap a little on the top of the screw head to try and break it loose. Try to tighten just a hair, before reversing to back it out.  Is that a plastic bail arm?  Would Blaster or Liquid Wrench damage the plastic?

Frank

PacRat

Looks like between you, Frank, and Jason you're off to a good start. Don't drill just yet. Try penetrating oil + time. Give it a good soak and wait. I would try to see if it will release every couple of hours and if it's not off by bedtime; marinate it and let it set overnight.

PB Blaster and Kroil are two of the best. If you don't have either one handy, you can thin out some tranny fluid with acetone or other light solvent. Look up a recipe for 'Red's Red' or 'Red's Rocket'. There are lots of recipes but I believe the most important ingredient is tranny fluid and getting it thin enough to penetrate.

Good luck
-Mike

Gpag

I do have PB Blaster.  I sprayed it but didn't let it soak very long.  I'll spray again and let it sit.  According to their web site it shouldn't really affect the plastic.  Another thing I need to use a Dremel to see if I can improve the slot in the screw head because of all the failed attempts.   

Wompus Cat

Why must you remove it in the first place ?
Is the Bail Fubarred ?or sumpin Broke on it ???
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

foakes

Good thought, Henry —-

But, the screw should be removed, IMO —-

Since with the amount of corrosion evident —- the line guide and adjacent areas need to be cleaned up.

Or line abrasion, additional friction, or line damage could occur.

One could get by as is —- but that would be my last choice, and unacceptable, at least for me.

Some of the keys here already mentioned would be a good soak —- I like Kroil —- followed up with a wooden-jawed vise and the proper screwdriver to barely tighten first (as Frank mentioned) —- just to "break" the bond —- then with firm downward and positive pressure using the proper screwdriver (might be JIS, if an Asian reel) —- back it out.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

JasonGotaProblem

Is this the 'before' pic? Curious what it looks like after the treatments its already seen. I promise I wont judge you for a stripped screw, guarantee I've done worse.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Midway Tommy

Mike is pointing you in the right direction, as is everyone else. Personally, though, I prefer Liquid Wrench, mainly because I can use it in non-aerosol and concentrate it in a certain area, but I have them all and they all work equally well. The main thing is that everytime you try removing the screw turn it slightly to the right to break it loose before trying to turn it to the left.

Drilling would be my last resort.

Taking a Dremel to the slot will probably do more harm than good.

Henry, by the looks of things I would say the line guide is most likely frozen and won't turn. All that corrosion needs to be cleaned up.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gpag

Quote from: Wompus Cat on September 12, 2022, 04:54:50 PMWhy must you remove it in the first place ?

I removed the bail so I could soak the line guide side in vinegar to help remove salt buildup. Now I am trying to put it back together which is proving to be a major PITA with the bail wire attached.  Now that I know the screw is frozen, assembly benefits aside, I want to get it out and deal with any underlying issue.
I have a small Dremel carborundum disk that, with care, will only touch the screw and not the surrounding arm.  That's a last resort.

George

foakes

What reel is this, George.

Could you post a couple of photos?

Thanks, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Midway Tommy on September 12, 2022, 06:00:49 PMMike is pointing you in the right direction, as is everyone else. Personally, though, I prefer Liquid Wrench, mainly because I can use it in non-aerosol and concentrate it in a certain area, but I have them all and they all work equally well. The main thing is that everytime you try removing the screw turn it slightly to the right to break it loose before trying to turn it to the left.

Drilling would be my last resort.

Taking a Dremel to the slot will probably do more harm than good.

Henry, by the looks of things I would say the line guide is most likely frozen and won't turn. All that corrosion needs to be cleaned up.

Gotcha Tommy but dependiing on What Reel he has some of those line guide rollers are Fixed and don't move and if that was the case and
with all the trouble he is having rather than take a chance of buggering up any more or Breaking the Plastic arm I would just clean it up best I could with crocus cloth steel wire brush,rubbing compound etc. and put it back together .
Now I see your problem of installing  it back and tensioning the bail allright so also Depending on Which ,what and where the reel you got you MIGHT remove the Rotor from the reel and that Might allow you to wrap the arm around to tighten the spring that way .
Exactly What Reel ya working on eh?

Gfish

If the line-roller rolls, prolly best to free it up. The LR turns more than any other part because of the small diameter.
A improvised container that allows you to soak it submerged would help to leave it outside with that smell for a long period. PB blaster is nasty stuff but works great.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Shellbelly

In addition to what they said, you might consider finding another reel just like it so you aren't shut down.  If they're inexpensive and available, get two or five.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Wompus Cat

A Reel or some like that with  a Red Bail and plastic arms are
 made by Kast King. Is that it ?