Getting Rid of Some 200,000,000 Year Old Bait

Started by foakes, September 12, 2022, 08:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Maybe for your Tackle Room or Man Cave?

Even your wives will like these.  They make great displays for anywhere in the house.

These are not modern reproductions.

They are genuine fish fossils from the Southwest —- collected and found in the 40's by our grandfather.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Ron Jones

Those are spectacular!
Are you looking to sell them?
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Wompus Cat

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

foakes

Quote from: Ron Jones on September 12, 2022, 08:20:44 PMThose are spectacular!
Are you looking to sell them?
The Man

Yes, I have a couple of extras that I will keep.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

PacRat

Those look like they're Green River from Utah and Wyoming. Looks like your grandpa got some good ones.

A lot of people have these cut and use them to accent their tiles on their backsplashes or just frame them and hang them on the wall.

Cor

Is very nice to see and have specially if it has a family history.
Cornelis

reelrepair123

sandbar

Very cool Fred.
Are these fairly common?
Send me a price if you still have some for sale.

Gobi King

Wow, kool collection Fred, it is awesome that you know the Provenance for these fossils.

Always wanted to camp at Florissant Fossil Beds in CO and dig for some cool fossil [not sure if that is still allowed].
I was introduced to fishy fossils by a peer, Dr Testerman, he used to frequent the flea markets in the Inland Empire and pick em up,
Unfortunately, most of the fossils in the market are FAKE, I take it back, nearly all of them are fake.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

foakes

Quote from: sandbar on October 08, 2022, 08:05:08 PMVery cool Fred.
Are these fairly common?
Send me a price if you still have some for sale.

The double is $200, the single is $150.

I have seen these for $6000 to $15000.

And reproductions for $35 to $50 —- for folks who just want a nice display.

So I figured these prices would be pretty fair for legitimate fossils in actual stone —- not plaster or cement.

They came from the Southwest —- outside of the Petrified Forest —- about 70 years ago, and were found by Sue's grandfather, James, who was an avid rock hound and fossil hunter —- along with his wife.  They would spend 3 months at a time in their Willy Wagon 4X4 & Shasta Teardrop trailer —- in the Southwest around New Mexico and Arizona.

These make great displays hanging on the wall —- either framed in wood, or attached with spring hangers.

Amazing just to touch these and imagine the era when the Western portion of North America was an inland sea —- with Mammoths, 30' alligators, pterodactyl's, and fish too numerous to count —- dominating the landscapes and shorelines —- long before Human's came on the scene.  Nature's storms, wind, volcanos, and the changing landscape over millions of years —- must have been magnificent.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

foakes

Just have one left —-

$200, shipped to your door via Priority Mail.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.