Reel Saver HG

Started by kr1985, February 10, 2012, 06:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kr1985

Does anyone know if Reel Saver HG is Teflon based?

Wondering if I can use it on my drag washers?

akfish

Nope. It's not teflon. It's OK grease for everything except drag washers, however.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

kr1985

I asked the manufacturer and this was the response:

"All of our REEL SAVERĀ® oil and grease formulations are "PTFE" particle-based, blended with synthetic oils. "TEFLON" is DuPont's trademark name for the grade of PTFE they manufacture and market. We mill our own proprietary, premium grade of PTFE.

Also: REEL SAVERĀ® HG is blended with other heavy-wear additives to make it a heavy load-bearing grease."

I wikipediaed PTFE:

"Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) is a synthetic fluoropolymer of tetrafluoroethylene that finds numerous applications. The most well known brand name of PTFE is Teflon by DuPont Co." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytetrafluoroethylene

So it sounds like this stuff is what is refereed to as "teflon" on the forum. But I am still not sure if using this on a drag washer is a proper application. It sounds like its the stuff but I guess you have to try it and find out. I asked the manufacturer what the melting temperature is. When they respond I will let everyone know.

Bryan Young

Synthetic oils?  If the synthetic oils are not teflon (PTFE) based, then it may make the drags sticky.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

kr1985

Yea I agree. The "synthetic oils" and "heavy-wear additives" part made me skeptical. Still waiting to hear back on the melting temp.

alantani

so, depending on the molecular weight, these ptfe polymers will either be oily or solid, and the consistency and melting temp can be adjusted by using different blends of different molecular weight polymers.  (hey, i paid attention in chemistry class!)  shimano drag grease melts at 300 deg f.  cal's grease melts at 500 deg F.  let us know!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Jimmer

I used superlube grease, a synthetic ptfe polymer based grease on my CF drag washers for awhile with no problems. Switched to Cal's cold weather last year for my own peace of mind. Who wants to find out their drag grease isn't up to snuff when you've got the biggest fish of the year on? Cal Sheets has tested this product and I think he knows as much about drags as anyone.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

akfish

The feel and texture of Reel SAver HD grease is very, very different than Cal's or Shimano drag grease. I wouldn't consider it for drag washers even if it is, technically, teflon.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

kr1985

"Reel Saver HG has a melting point of over 500 degrees F."

alantani

i don't know if it would work, but i can think of one quick way to find out!

kr1985

Yeaaa I did a side by side comparison on some old washers I had. Cal's vs. Reel Saver HG. Cal's just looks and feel better on the drag washer. Reel Saver did not work into the carbon fiber the same way as Cal's does. It was a pretty quick subjective comparison lacking any real metrics for comparison besides how I thought it looked and felt.

Regardless I still have tub of this stuff I found in a lot of fishing equipment I bought. How do you guys like this stuff in shaft bearings?

I would like to use it somehow since I have it but not going to waste my time if the experts don't endorse. it.

akfish

I think it's fine for everything except drag washers. I used to use it in the shop but switched over to Cal's and the new Penn stuff a while back.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani