Tell me what I should do.

Started by BlueIsland, August 12, 2022, 03:17:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philaroman

I always liked the theory that, you get a kid tackle that you, YOURSELF, would readily use
sure, within the "good enough for YOU" category, you look for stuff that's most affordable & easiest to use,
BUT NOT ROCK-BOTTOM -- KIDS DON'T LIKE BOBO's!!!
plus, if the hobby doesn't take w/ the kid, you're not stuck w/ junk you'd never use

oldmanjoe

::)  ::)   Buy one of each type of reel and rod , How else are they going to grow up to be a tackle junky
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Keta

Quote from: oc1 on August 26, 2022, 06:23:03 AMquote author=oc1 link=msg=419702 date=1661494983]       

......A spincast is the easiest thing to throw and keep from tangling.....     

QuoteA spincast would have been the last choice I would have suggested but I think you are right.  It will teach him how to use a conventional without dealing with backlashes.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Wompus Cat

This is getting to be Quite a Conundrum.
It is too bad Ann Landers is Gone  :(
She would have a Definitive Solution I am sure .

But one thing is Certain .
Take the youngster to  :fish 
Natural instincts if present will prevail .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Shellbelly

Before you know it, he'll be driving the boat and all you'll have to do is point.  Well, you might have to change a shear pin or two, but hey!
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Bill B

Quote from: Wally15 on August 24, 2022, 07:55:11 AMWhat you should do is NOT what I did in a similar situation. Back in the 90's I was into tournament bass fishing. Local club tournaments mostly. My 7 yo son wanted to go with me. I took him for a couple of years but I was more focused on the upcoming tournament than I was him catching fish. He lost interest, quit going fishing with me, and started playing video games instead. I doubt he's even been fishing since

As Mike said, make the trip about the kid, not yourself.  I took my middle son rockcod fishing once, I got so caught up in fishing I started to ignore the youngster. The boat skipper must have seen what was going and came down from the wheelhouse with his rod, dropped down hooked a couple fish on the drop, handed the rod to my son saying "here hold my rod for a minute" as he stepped aside shouted to my son "hey you have a fish on, reel, reel, reel". Up came a couple nice reds.  The look on my sons face was pure joy.  My heart sank when I realized what happened.  I spent the rest of the trip tending to him.  12 years later he is still proud of the fact he caught more fish than the old man.  FWIW.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

steelfish

Quote from: Bill B on September 21, 2022, 10:07:53 PM........12 years later he is still proud of the fact he caught more fish than the old man.  FWIW.  Bill

this made me remember this adventure with my 6yo daughter back in 2017
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=20665.0

she is still proud that she was the only one that caught a fish that day and I mean the ONLY one between all the rest of fishermen that were present that day on the pier including me haha and pretty sure she will remember that forever.

good for you Bill to connect with your kid on time that day.
The Baja Guy