TLD25 handle wanted

Started by reelynuts, February 11, 2012, 11:10:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reelynuts

Thanks to this website, I have been inspired to go through all of my reels, perform little upgrades (cals grease on carbon fiber drags mostly), etc. I find it enjoyable and mentally therapeutic, especially since a recent back injury combined with the long Connecticut winter has gotten me a little down :(. Fortunately I've got plenty of reels to tune up between my own, my nephews, and a few friends reels.  I came across a TLD25 which was given to me by an old girlfriend a few years ago. It belonged to her dad who had passed away several years earlier. I actually new him many years before I met her, and I think she felt that since she would never use it, and although it had sentimental value to her, I think that she felt that he would not mind if I had it. Anyway, the reel was in pretty rough shape. I spent many hours scrubbing and scraping every little piece, then greasing and reassembling the reel. It is now beautiful, but I have one question. Does Cal's grease on the canvas drag washer add to or diminish performance in any way? I am sure it will offer corrosion protection, but I am unsure of friction or however the grease may help or hinder the actual drag capabilities. To be honest, I don't really have much use for this reel. Its a little big for our local inshore fishing in the Long Island Sound/ Montauk, and a little small for our offshore fishing in the canyons off of Montauk. However I may use it some day on a party boat in Fort Lauderdale or in Montauk for cod. I kind of already have stuff for whatever fishing I may do. Out of respect for Carl, who owned it, and his daughter who gave it to me, and who by the way still remains a friend and occasional fishing partner (she loves it) I really don't want to sell or give away this reel. Since I wont be using it much, I don't see the point in buying a $40-$50.00 upgraded (longer) handle (although it is a joke how short it is), and a $20.00 Carbontex drag washer, plus shipping. But! Now that it works so well and looks so good (with the exception of the badly corroded handle) I got to thinking that there must be a million of the stock handles that people have replaced kicking around in someones drawer or on someones shelf. I don't mind paying something for a better handle (or should I say -I expect to pay) but I cant see the 40-50 bucks being well spent with doctors bills adding up also. So, if anybody has got one and wants a few bucks, let me know. The reel has the black handle now, and I'm not sure when they changed it but I think the chrome handle does look nicer (if it fits the same), and would probably not corrode (through electrolysis) in the future if/when I do use the reel, but beggers cant be choosers so whatever you may have (unless already beaten up), will probably be better than what the reel has now. I'm not trying to be cheap, but I really don't want to spend a lot of money for it, I'm just trying to make Carl proud, and his daughter happy. It would make her month ;D to step onto the boat and see her dads old beaten up reel all cleaned up and shiney, and make her year to catch a fish with it. I have never met a girl who was so close to her dad. He was our local fiberglass repair guy (did exceptional work), and they went out on his 28' Bertram every weekend during the summer. I met him when I was 15 (42 now)and worked at the local Johnson Outboard dealer where I learned about electrolysis, corrosion, "salt creep", etc, and how to prevent it with grease. His fiberglass shop was in the same boatyard right next door. I met Brenda (his daughter) about 20 years later. Nice people :). She still tries to tell me how to fish, and every time I speak with her, she has to say "well, that's not how my father would have done it" :D :D :D :D :D

Dominick

Reelynuts:  I can't help you out with a handle for the reel, but I can help you out with some unsolicited advice.  I don't think she should be an old girlfriend.  You should reconsider.  Every couple I know that fishes together are really happy.  Dominick (the Yenta)  ;)
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

canvas drag washers have to be perfectly clean and dry.  anything else and they will stick.  for handles, the stock grips are so small that they border on criminal.  i don't have any now, but i can save them when another reel comes across the bench. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wallacewt

i have a handle in perfect working order.$10 just to cover postage

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Irish Jigger

reelynuts

OK Wallacewt, How do you want to go about it. Can you pm me an address to send a check, or send me the handle and I'll mail a check to the return address. However is most convenient for you. I appreciate what you are doing.

wallacewt

just pm me your email ill send a photo to you of the handle,just to make sure we are on the same wave length.square hole?`