Olympic trolling rod No2

Started by Donnyboat, October 04, 2022, 12:59:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat

just picked up the above rod, it has trolling No 2 on it & thats all, it has 5 Allan roller guides on it, plus a roller tip, the foot part is larg enough to fit the Senator 16/0 on but I dont think it is robust enough for the 16/0 cant reed anything on the foot. anyone have any info on it, cheers Don. n thanks.
Don, or donnyboat

UKChris1

mhc

You can send the photos to me if you like Don - Wayne might still be galivanting around the countryside  ;D
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Donnyboat

Thanks Mike I will try & get some pics, in the morning, Wayne is trying to get over his Tuna bottling weekend, very bizzy man, he also has to catch up with some other pics, he has`nt yet posted, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

mhc

Photos from Don;

"Hi Mike a couple of pics of the Olympic rod, that's all the righting it has on it, cant even see anything on the foot area, the roller guides are Allan, cheers Don. n thanks."

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Donnyboat

Thanks Mike, you must have place the pics on the forum as you fell in the door, the full pic of the rod, it looks like the first roller is dammaged, it is actually some bird #### on the concrete, the bloke I brought it from, wanted AU$50 for it, he also had a split cane rod for $30, so I offered him $65 for the two, & he said okay, So $35 it is, as I said the Senator 16/0 fit on it, but I am not sure if its strong enough for that, all the rollers work good, I could not find any detains on the Olympic web site. cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

UKChris1

Nice - thank you for the pictures
Does look a little 'thin' for taking a 16/0 but see what load it will take to produce a 'fighting curve' and make a judgement then on appropriate line strength, reel size etc.
Enjoy!

Donnyboat

Thanks Chris, i`ve done a fare bit of reserch, not getting much info, on it at all, I was pleased to see all the line rollers are working good, I did pull the tip roller apart, honed the bush out with fine steel wool, rapted around a drill bit, & relubed it, sweet, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

oc1

It's roughly what they used to call a 24-thread rod.  The next size up would be 36-thread and then 52-thread.  That would equate to about 80 lb, 130 lb and unlimited rigs respectively.  Appropriate Senators would be 9/0, 12/0 and 16/0 respectively.

Donnyboat

Thanks Steve, that about what I was thinking, very informative, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat