Abu 5501C3

Started by Scattergun2570, October 04, 2022, 09:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scattergun2570

Ok,so I have serviced a small handful of these,but this one was a touch different. I am thinking because it has the older style internals setup..anyway,I want to know what that black piece is that sits amazingly close to the cog wheel.and what it does etc... thanks R.

E02CD1AB-E3EF-414A-8D28-CAF9F61A1426.png

Wompus Cat

Holds Grease for the Bearing me thinks.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Scattergun2570

Wompus Cat

Well that's a Wild Arse Guess BUT it looks like maybe a Dust cover /Grease holder of sorts .
Show us a pic of the Spool so we can see how it mates up . ?
It MAY have had a piece of felt in there to hold oil for the bearing . I can not see what other purpose it would serve.

Scattergun2570

Quote from: Wompus Cat on October 04, 2022, 10:33:38 PMWell that's a Wild Arse Guess BUT it looks like maybe a Dust cover /Grease holder of sorts .
Show us a pic of the Spool so we can see how it mates up . ?
It MAY have had a piece of felt in there to hold oil for the bearing . I can not see what other purpose it would serve.

I already closed up the reel,but the rest of the reel was the same as every other Abu,,plastic gears mate up,spool shaft running through,standard stuff. I am as puzzled as you are. I am going to sift through schematics to see if I can get a part name.

Wompus Cat

Don't think it is a separate part . I think It is molded into the side plate  .
I have been into a load of them and have many but that just never even occurred to me really never noticed it ....lol

Shellbelly

Quote from: Wompus Cat on October 05, 2022, 01:04:07 AMDon't think it is a separate part

Schematics don't show that as a service part.  Since you should put a little dab-o-grease there, I suspect it helps keep things tidy and lubed instead of allowing the lube to sling out....or dissipate while it sits all alone waiting for youz guyz to FISH with it. ;)  I never paid much attention to it.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)