Why wont star drag reels get reel binding vs Lever drag?

Started by danw9009, October 14, 2022, 01:11:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boon

Quote from: jurelometer on October 25, 2022, 12:17:03 AM
Quote from: boon on October 24, 2022, 11:27:08 PM
Quote from: jurelometer on October 23, 2022, 10:15:13 PMBut seriously, I would like to see the parts for the drag adjustment mechanism. Can't make a mental picture of how it works.

In my head I'm picturing a thrust bearing on the drive shaft, held in place by a cross-pin or C-clip, that a cam sits underneath. Almost inevitably means taking a load on the sideplate of the reel, unless you have some super complicated telescopic driveshaft.

Oooh!

I am with you so far, Boon.  That explains how the lever can add load to the drag without spinning with the shaft when the handle is turned.

but, but, but...

How does the "fine tuning knob" add clamping load to the cam or drag stack and still allow for a rigid handle arm to shaft junction.  I cant think of anything yet that is not complicated.  Still confused, but maybe that's me :)

-J

Purely speculating as to how I would do it personally, but maybe a hollow driveshaft with a secondary shaft all the way through that preloaded the main gear against the drag stack.

Cor

Heaven help those who need to service this imaginary device ;D    I cant even picture it in my mind.
Cornelis