UL Fenwick 140 And Diawa SS1 From 1974

Started by Butch, October 14, 2022, 09:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butch

I bought this in, I believe 1974 for stream fishing the Sierras... It did it's job well and is in pretty good shape and fish-able today... Unfortunately my knees don't allow much boulder hopping anymore, but I have used it in some city ponds for bluegill, and that can be fun... It'll probably go to my Grandson... When he outgrows his rod breaking years..  ;)
Butch

happyhooker

Beautiful equipment; should be a go-getter on sunnies.

Frank

foakes

Very nice and well thought out combo, Butch —-

For those of you who might not know —- the Daiwa Mini spinning reels of this era ('74 - '80) —- are very tough and capable little reels that are a pleasure to fish.

There were various models starting with the tiny 500C, 700C, Mini-Mite, 1000, and others.  They were silver or gold, metal bodies, skirted aluminum spools.

The gold ones had ball bearings, the silver ones had bushings.

A silver could be upgraded to Ball-Bearings just by replacing the bushings with bearings.

The reel Butch has was the precursor to the 1000.

I have a small stash of these that I resell or trade —- and for regular usage also, by me.

Hard to beat one of these on an old school glass Fenwick, 4lb. test, and a small spinner, or a fly and a bubble.

Great for backpacking.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Butch

Quote from: foakes on October 15, 2022, 03:14:07 PMVery nice and well thought out combo, Butch —-

For those of you who might not know —- the Daiwa Mini spinning reels of this era ('74 - '80) —- are very tough and capable little reels that are a pleasure to fish.

There were various models starting with the tiny 500C, 700C, Mini-Mite, 1000, and others.  They were silver or gold, metal bodies, skirted aluminum spools.

The gold ones had ball bearings, the silver ones had bushings.

A silver could be upgraded to Ball-Bearings just by replacing the bushings with bearings.

The reel Butch has was the precursor to the 1000.

I have a small stash of these that I resell or trade —- and for regular usage also, by me.

Hard to beat one of these on an old school glass Fenwick, 4lb. test, and a small spinner, or a fly and a bubble.

Great for backpacking.

Best, Fred

I agree Fred.. A nice little setup... I have a Diawa Minicast from the same era, But the spinner just looks "right" on the Fenwick...  About the backpacking... Be careful... It's a 1 piece rod
Butch

foakes

[/quote]
About the backpacking... Be careful... It's a 1 piece rod
Butch[/quote]

Right, Butch —- I have 4 or 5 ultralight Fenwicks in 5.0 and 5.5 —- they are 2-piece old glass rods that I carry in a rod tube with a sock inside.

Also have a few Fenwick 4-piece pack rods & a few 4 to 6-piece Wright McGill Trailmasters.

Often I use a DQ Microlite reel and also take one of these Daiwas as a spare or to switch out as conditions warrant.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Butch

That little rod was pretty tough though... I hauled it through a lot of brush, limbs, and brambles... It came out better than I did... No repairs since new... All original eyes, cork and wrappings...
Butch

CI_Seawolf

I broke one very similar to that cross country hiking to Ampitheater Lake in '81.   Great little rods though.
Stay Classy!

ClintB

I bought this little FS 53 in the late 70s along with the Mini Mite.

I've caught a lot of trout, even 2 Steelehead (believe it or not).

I'm thinking the mini mite would work well on my '65 SF50-4

Paul Roberts

Nice combo.

DougK

terrific little outfit..
I haven't found a nice UL Fenwick like that yet, instead have two Voyageurs that are 6wt fly rods and light spin. One is the SF75-4 four piece rod, a better spinner than fly, and the SF75-5 five-piece, which is a wonderful rod for either.
Usually fish my 1974 Mitchell 308 with the shallow spool and 4lb line on there. Here it is on the Boundary Waters, with an Abu Cardinal 501, a surprisingly decent reel from the 90s.

ClintB

I like those SF rods for spin fishing, I've got a few. Not so much with a fly line, bobber and fly is more enjoyable.

I bought this 149 at a pretty good price because of the cork damage. I'm going to try some type of repair to make it usable.

I've got a DQ micro light and a 110 that will go nicely if I can get some parts.