speedmaster query

Started by timpz, February 12, 2012, 09:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timpz

Hi I'm new to all this so hoping someone on here can help. I have recently bought a second hand speedmaster tsm100fs. Does any one know what sizes of bearings it needs, and what size drag washers?
Also can someone tell me what is the best thing to lubricate the levelwind mechanism? Also any other info on this reel would be great, it looks like a nice reel but I can't find alot about them online.
thanks
Tim

Dominick

Tim:  Since you are new to the site, you might want to start at the home page and search "lubricants."  This will bring up plenty of the discussions and recommendations for various lubricants. Someone may know the bearing sizes and post it in this thread.  However, if you need to order bearings, measure them.  Then search bearings on this site.  There are several suppliers to obtain bearings from.  There are  Smoothdrag, Boca Bearings and Isutami Bearings to name a few.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

redsetta

G'day and welcome Tim,
It's very similar to this Speedmaster tutorial (minus the level wind): http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6.0
The schematic for yours should be listed here: http://schematics.planetseafishing.com/shimano/multiplier/shimano-triton.html
Is it this one?: http://schematics.planetseafishing.com/downloads/shimano/multiplier/triton-series/triton-speedmaster-tsm100gtfs(88-52).pdf
If so, the bearings could be 4x11x4mm, 6x12x4mm and 8x16x5mm, but Dominick's right - measure yours to be certain.
From Alan's tutorial re: drag washers:
Quote...The canvas drive shaft drag washer (key #100) at the top of the photo goes underneath the main gear and measures 11x25x0.7mm.  in the foreground of this photo, from left to right, are the canvas eared drag washer (key #98) measuring 15x35x1mm, the black drag washer (key #96) measuring 11x35x1mm and the canvas drag washer (key #94) on the far lower right measuring 8x35x1mm.  
...The best replacement set is a series of Penn ht-100 drag washers, from left to right, the part numbers for these Penn washers are #6-49, #6-116, #56-440 and #56-440...
I generally only use a light oil on level-wind mechanisms - Inox, ReelX etc - as grease attracts grit and grime which will eventually compromise castability and longevity.
Hope that's of some assistance.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

timpz

Thanks for that guys, i'm new on here and new at working with reels so still working stuff out. Redsetta thanks for the links the second one is indeed the reel i have, I had no idea it was such an old model. Now i can get the levelwind cleaned up and sorted, although i wont need to cast far, i'm using the reel for conger fishing which is usually within 20-40m of the shore, or less. Thanks again.