Pfleuger Templar Modifications

Started by Makule, February 13, 2012, 12:17:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makule

This just shows a very common modification that was made to the 1429 3/4 (4/0) and 1420 1/2 (9/0) reels.  Many years out of production and probably seldom used.  The 4/0 was thought to be too small, and the 9/0 too large.  The reel seat and bars of the reels were exchanged and the spools either extended or contracted (needed very accurate machine work on the lathe).   The result was a 4/0 that was as wide as a 9/0, but with the smaller diameter, held 400 yards of 80 lb mono.  The reduced 9/0 held about the same amount of line, and because of the narrow size, had great balance.

Below you can see the stock 1419 3/4, modified (extended spool) reel, and the stock 1420 1/2.  Shown from the side to show the difference in diameter and then shown from the top to show the difference in widths.

This third image is another modification we used to do to increase the volume of the ratchet.  The stock ratchets came with a thin wire spring to hold the tongue, but it was totally inadequate.  In order to make it louder, we used to solder stronger, thin piece of brass/bronze pipe to the side plate.  Made a huge difference.

FYI, I'll be away for a few days.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

alantani

i believe the drags on all of these reels are pretty small.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

That brass pipe was a great idea Makule, very creative.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

akfish

As I recall, their drag washers were leather and the size of Squidder drags. Not much for a 4/0 reel...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Irish Jigger

Innovative one piece clutch lever design.