Two stupid bearings.....

Started by alantani, October 21, 2022, 03:07:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

All of this just to reach two stupid bearings.....
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Wow!  Glad you know your way around these, Alan —

Sometimes it just takes major surgery for a simple bearing changeout.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

UKChris1

Just be thankful it isn't your car that needs a filter changed, behind the engine!  ;D

Brendan

Been there done that once. In my case it made me have greater appreciation for my old low tech arsenal.
Brendan.

Hardy Boy

I have one thing to say ........................... surcharge !

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

foakes

When I am working on other's reels —- if running into an issue that takes considerable extra time —- there is never a surcharge.

Because, there are many other reels that I work on that are pretty easy with the right experience, tricks, and tools.

So I take the occasional bitter with the sweet —- and just keep the charge the same.

Everyone has their own ideas about what is fair —- if a particular reel is known to be a major hassle —- I let the client know that before proceeding.

As an example, when I used to work on Internationals, Shimano spinners, and other reels with 3 times the typical parts —- the cost would be a little higher.

Many reels that are made of graphite or plastic (same basic thing) I will not accept anymore. 

I am glad there are guys on here who are comfortable and skilled at working on those.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Hardy Boy

I agree Fred. Price is the price. Once you know what reels are pain, up your price and let folks know up-front. I have to learn to say no to some reels ................... I'm a slow learner.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

handi2

The Torium is now so much more time consuming just to get to the two spool bearings.

Unlike the Trinidad where you can take the left side plate off and be done in a few minutes.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL