I'm stuck. The driveshaft won't come of the steel post. It refuses. 5600AB reel.

Started by pointbob, October 21, 2022, 01:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pointbob

I'm stuck. I have an 5600ab and the drive shaft is literally stuck to the steel post on the side plate. I pulled off the drag washers and even sort of broke off/removed the bottom the silver bottom wheel which is normally welded onto the brass driveshaft. I think I may have gotten some saltwater on it. The handle became impossibly hard to turn so I took it apart and then discovered the drive shaft would not pull off the little steel post. I've tried soaking the whole plate in CLR for an hour; and also tried WD40 overnite. And the damn thing won't slide off. And the drive shaft is still very hard to turn...even with pliers. What can I do? help. ps..i checked the abu schematics and you are supposed to be able to remove the drive shaft...right? lol (Part Number: 22079)

ps...I fish pretty large salmon +20lbs in the PNW. And I'm using a a slighter longer handle.
Patience comes to those who wait

nelz

Assuming you removed the C-clip from top of post, yes?

Just let it soak for longer in the solvents and move it occasionally to allow it to penetrate better. It'll come loose eventually.

pointbob

Quote from: nelz on October 21, 2022, 01:46:48 PMAssuming you removed the C-clip from top of post, yes?

Just let it soak for longer in the solvents and move it occasionally to allow it to penetrate better. It'll come loose eventually.

Yes on removing c-clip. I've had it in penetrating oil 2 days now and it still takes pliers to turn the brass driveshaft around the post.

JasonGotaProblem

Caked in salt is likely the issue. But i suspect you already knew that.

Bet if you used a drill with a wide chuck tightened onto the sleeve, and a very strong grip on the plate, you can free it up brute force style with a bit of powered rotation. This obviously isn't a first choice approach but that option is there.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

pointbob

I think you got it. I'll try the drill.

I just cannot believe how impossibly hard the damn thing is stuck. Saltwater+brass...isn't supposed to be non chemically reactive....I guess not.

foakes

Unfortunately, it needs to come off —-

And, a couple of new parts may be needed after the procedures.

Good luck!  If you need parts, some of us may have what you need.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

I have a bunch of parts but they interchange with so many others. Just post a picture of the reel and the brake plate.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

pointbob

Update!

Hey all thanks for the drill idea. I inserted it and ran the drill on high for at least 10 mins. And then more lol. It got to the point that the back brake plate the post is attached to actually started getting too hot to hold. So I kept at it intermittently for another 10 mins. Good news I managed to power out whatever corrosion was making it stiff. So the handle turns smooth now.

The bad news is I could not pull off the darn drive shaft. I was drilling and pulling but it just wouldn't budge. And the steel post itself starting to get a little loose from all the drama. So now re-assembled and lubed as much as I could at least I have a functioning reel (with a stuck driveshaft). I'm keeping this reel for freshwater only and hopefully it wont break on me...

But just out of curiosity - after trying so many things is there any last resort to take off the driveshaft....Could i cut it off carefully sideways using a dremel...sort like cutting off a cast from a broken arm? thx

JasonGotaProblem

Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

tincanary

If you're all salted up, soak in white vinegar.  It neutralizes and dissolves the salt.  The process is much faster if you're using an ultrasonic cleaner.  I personally don't like to brute force these Ambassadeur driveshafts, it's too easy to break the rivet that attaches the stud to the brake plate.  If that rivet breaks, the entire brake plate is roached.  Been there done that, twice. 

pointbob

Quote from: tincanary on October 22, 2022, 06:08:20 AMIf you're all salted up, soak in white vinegar.  It neutralizes and dissolves the salt.  The process is much faster if you're using an ultrasonic cleaner.  I personally don't like to brute force these Ambassadeur driveshafts, it's too easy to break the rivet that attaches the stud to the brake plate.  If that rivet breaks, the entire brake plate is roached.  Been there done that, twice. 

thank you....is it ok to leave it in the vinegar a week?

tincanary

Quote from: pointbob on October 23, 2022, 01:43:45 AMthank you....is it ok to leave it in the vinegar a week?

I wouldn't go longer than overnight.  Make sure you rinse it really, really well afterward.

Fish-aholic

Quote from: pointbob on October 22, 2022, 12:33:55 AMUpdate!

Hey all thanks for the drill idea. I inserted it and ran the drill on high for at least 10 mins. And then more lol. It got to the point that the back brake plate the post is attached to actually started getting too hot to hold. So I kept at it intermittently for another 10 mins. Good news I managed to power out whatever corrosion was making it stiff. So the handle turns smooth now.

The bad news is I could not pull off the darn drive shaft. I was drilling and pulling but it just wouldn't budge. And the steel post itself starting to get a little loose from all the drama. So now re-assembled and lubed as much as I could at least I have a functioning reel (with a stuck driveshaft). I'm keeping this reel for freshwater only and hopefully it wont break on me...

But just out of curiosity - after trying so many things is there any last resort to take off the driveshaft....Could i cut it off carefully sideways using a dremel...sort like cutting off a cast from a broken arm? thx

What's trapping the drive shaft to the base plate post is not corrosion related but a flaring/mushroom effect at the tip of the post where the e-clip helps retain the handle.

The flared post only needs a rub down with wet and dry until it eventually frees the drive shaft from the base plates post.

If the base plate post is wobbly as has been mentioned, I would look into replacing it as the post being secured to base plate is important when retrieving payloads back and keeping gears correctly aligned under the stress. ;) 

pointbob

Quote from: Fish-aholic on November 30, 2022, 12:14:29 PM
Quote from: pointbob on October 22, 2022, 12:33:55 AMUpdate!

The flared post only needs a rub down with wet and dry until it eventually frees the drive shaft from the base plates post.

Thank you. What do you mean by rubdown? wet and dry...do i use water and a rag?