Depth Charts on line

Started by Bill B, October 21, 2022, 08:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

I have always been fascinated with maps and can spend hour on Google Earth.  Now while working my way up the California coastline I saw different underwater structures and wanted to know more.  I found this app called I Boat and they list what I assume are average depths.  I can see myself going down a reel deep  (pun intended 🤣) rabbit hole with this one.  Bill

https://fishing-app.gpsnauticalcharts.com/i-boating-fishing-web-app/fishing-marine-charts-navigation.html#7.21/41.721/-125.124/7
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

quabbin boy 62

hi, bill try navionics.com, they have a section called navionics chartviewer, it gets more detailed as you zoom in.

Gfish

Pretty cool, Bill. I'm surprised by the amount of off-shore structure down in the So-Cal area, relative to other coastal areas.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Bill B

I always knew there was an off shore trench outside of Port Hueneme, in Ventura County. The trench runs SW to NE right into the harbor.  Pretty cool that it goes from 50' at the harbor entrance to 1500' in less than a mile.  The harbor is the only deep water harbor between Long Beach and San Francisco.  That kind of lead me to the chart search. 
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Gfish

Quite a drop-off. I went outta there on a party boat, bout 15 years ago. It was March and they's usin sardines to try'n entice Calico's outta the kelp. No-go. I started probing the bottom with a lite spinning rig and 1-oz. Jig, tough fishing, but I got biggest Rockfish, soon I had other people tryin it. At first the deck-hand thought I didn't know what I's doin, and set me up with the live bait rig, couple casts latter, nah, it's too crowded and it ain't workin. In the end they got me though; I didn't enter the pool cause I never win those things. Wah!, Wah, whaaa. The fish musta been hangin on the bottom and not movin much.

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!