CDFW To Begin Offering 365-Day Fishing Licenses For 2023

Started by pjstevko, October 22, 2022, 04:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

Aiala

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Butch

I agree... When my Grandson turned 16, I took him out and bought him his 1st fishing license... It was about 1/2 way thru the year, but we paid a full years price... In that case it really wasn't fair... We couldn't buy it until his birthday... If it would have been a 365, it would have been fine...
Butch

Hardy Boy

Todd

Gfish

How much for a Calie 1yr. License? Todd how much for a, what? BC or Canadian license for a yr.?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Hardy Boy

For salt water with a salmon tag I pay $ 29 for the year. I don't need any other tags/ stamps for shellfish or what not.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Brewcrafter

I actually started to type something; realized I was getting political AND it would really serve no purpose, so I erased it.  I will say my local tackle shop growing up (Mr. CB's in San Bernardino) was championing both a full year license AND a lifetime license...back in the late 1980's.  50 years later they are both a reality (and sadly Charlie Bears ceased to exist some years ago)  I thought long and hard about the lifetime license, but try as I might I couldn't make the math pencil out.  I even considered buying it for my kids when they turned 16, but given that fishing is a casual past time for them it was too much of an investment in something that may not mean anything so I helped them buy cars instead. 
In another thread someone posted really cool photos of 1940's California Licenses.  I have some of my Dad's and my old licenses framed in the workshop - for some time in California you had to purchase a Base License and then stamps for additional features (Trout Stamp, Colorado River Stamp, Striper Stamp, Ocean Stamp) and they were all really colorful and kinda pretty. - john

foakes

Hi John —-

Here is a little piece of SoCal history from Charlie Bear.

If you would like it, it's yours.  Just let me know.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

Brewcrafter

Thank you so much Fred!  Now you are giving me a good excuse to put together an order!  Do you remember how you came into this gem and were you familiar with his shop?  Quick explanation for those that may live in different "jurisdictions", here in California it has always been pretty much law that to purchase your fishing license you need to show your California Drivers License or ID.  And this was a little neighborhood tackle shop back in the 1970's down on one of the main streets.  Every single year it was a tradition that my sister who does not fish (she is a wee bit older than I) would go there before Christmas, and he would always remember her, and he would sell her the licenses for the following year for my Dad and myself sight unseen with a "make sure they sign these on Christmas Day".  He always knew which stamps we would want.  I went in one time before a 3 day and asked advice for "What do I need for these albacore they are catching?" (that right there tells you how long ago THAT was) and Charlie was the kind of guy that if you would ask him advice, he would gladly spend 30 minutes explaining every detail of the rigging and techniques involved, and I walked out with a small pack of Mustads and a box of rubbercores (yeah, it was TH?AT long ago) and was set, he was that type of guy.  I think I heard from my sister that back when I was living in Missouri that he became a casualty of wanting/needing to retire, and not having anyone in the family to take over the business and not being able to find anyone to buy it outright, but again that was quite awhile ago. Thank you so much for the memories Fred! - john