Tiny Wire Brushes

Started by Gfish, October 23, 2022, 12:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Anyone have a reference something that can scrape flat surfaces in tight areas. Looking for something smaller than those common hand ones about 1"x 3/8"-1/2"x6" found in the hardware sections of many stores and hardware stores and auto parts stores.
Can those "tube" brushes(such as a smaller version of a gun barrel brush) be used on flat surfaces for rust/corrosion removal? If so, how?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

philaroman

check various deburring tools/brushes -- jewelers' get quite tiny

CooldadE

Granger or McMaster-Carr ?

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

foakes

What are you intending to do with these, Greg?

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Clean corrosion, rust and other forms of oxidation off of reel, and especially electrical parts. That is,...until I HAVE to change them-out.
Getting my Italian espresso maker working again convinced me that some parts are gonna be hard to come by. First you gotta know how the parts function, then what are they named, THEN, are they obtainable?
 So periodic maintenance might be easier than replacement. And I hate buying new stuff which is oftentimes a cheaper/junkier version of something I like.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

philaroman

also, Dremel wire brushes get pretty small & there are flexible "dental drill" type extensions

CI_Seawolf

Look for Gordon brushes, they come in brass or stainless steel.  Look like a toothbrush.  As a high voltage switchgear mechanic, this was a common item for cleaning connections and lugs.  Try Mc Master Carr
Stay Classy!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

All wire brushes that Chuck onto a power tool like a Dremel, Drill, or Angle Grinder —- are disposables. 

I used to use the Dremel brand, then McMaster-Carr, Home Depot, Harbor Freight, etc.  But these all got pricey and did not seem to last very long.

Thought I would give these SS Wire Wheels on eBay a try —- not expecting too much.  But being cheap in certain areas —- needed to give it a go.

Free shipping, $10 - $12 for 30-45 brushes.

These actually have lasted the same or longer than the MUCH more expensive MC's.

With maybe using these wire wheels for 8 or 10 reels a week —- I am only on my 3rd wheel after 18 months.

I have a little surface abrasive station next to one of the upstairs reel benches.

For larger surface areas I use abrasive flap wheels on an angle grinder.

For small interior long holes such as gear sleeves, bushings, worm pinions, etc. —- I use "0000" steel wool wrapped around a drill bit.

I have found that it is the things that no one will ever look at or even know you did —- that make all of the difference in the finished smoothness and function of a reel.

In the outdoor shops —- I have a couple of drawers of other types of wire brushes and wheels that are used regularly on everything from tools to surface areas.

I got tired of purchasing (3) wire wheels for $12 or $15 bucks —- and them not lasting any longer than these that are $10 for 45.

With ALL grinding, burnishing, wire wheel, and any power operations —- I always use wrap-around safety glasses —- no exceptions —- just like wearing a safety belt when driving.

Every station and place has a pair of safety glasses that go on before the tool is ever turned on.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.