Penn 113H sideplate material?

Started by mackeyjr122, October 24, 2022, 08:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mackeyjr122

Question on the Penn113H sideplates. I am planning to paint my side plates and i wanted to know what material is the side plates made of.  I saw different types of primers. One for plastic and another for polycarbonates. Any tips would help thanks

foakes

Welcome aboard, Mackey!

Bakelite —- which is a non-porous type of plastic commonly used in older appliances like radios, phones, bowling balls.

It can be painted —- but since it is non-porous, the paint will eventually start to come off —- unless the surface is abraded (sanded to rough it up a bit).  180 is what I use.

The best paint I have found is Duracoat.  Make sure after sanding that you blow off any dust and use a tack cloth so that the surface will be ready to paint.

There are many paints specifically for plastics.  You could experiment with those also.

I just know what has worked for me, after trying others.  Bakelite is a weird and brittle material.

Here is one for the books —- the official scientific name for Bakelite (I needed to look it up!) is:

polyoxybenzylmethylenglycolanhydride

It is a good thing some of the letters were repeated — otherwise, our English alphabet would not have enough letters!

That is one for the Spelling Bee!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jurelometer

an FYI:  Bakelite often contains asbestos filler (frequently amosite, the nastiest type of asbestos), so there is the possibility of asbestos dust from sanding.  Not as bad as living in the mining town and working in the asbestos mine, but a dust generating activity like sanding Bakelite is not something that I personally would consider. A a layman, I am not going to make safety recommendations for others, and we all have are own risk tolerances, but thought that it might be worth mentioning.

Not all Bakelite has asbestos, but I don't know if there is a way to tell.

-J

foakes

I use a wet/dry 180, by hand, and plenty of water —-

All it takes is a slight "rough-up" of the surface, then a good rinse in the water —- let it dry —- and spray with paint.

It takes a while for the paint to come off the surface of the plates —- so probably sanding isn't even needed with a good paint made for plastics.

If concerned use a respirator and don't lick the plates.

Caution is always a good thing.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mackeyjr122

Thank you for the info. I am going to try it with some Tamiya fine surface primer first. Then im going to use createx wicked paint with some urethane additives. Going to try and spray a riptile pattern in the mahimahi colors. Hope it works. Thanks again

mackeyjr122

I will post a pic of my finish reel when im done with it. I just wanted my plain Penn 113HLW to look different. I will probably rewrap my pole to match my reel if it comes out good. Crossing my fingers.

mackeyjr122

014B23DB-62B2-4265-BC87-48830BDE6E70.jpeg. Finished reel came out pretty good and it seem durable 

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Cuttyhunker

Show us the combo when the rod is done :d
Doomed from childhood

Donnyboat

very good job, thanks for showing us, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Brewcrafter

That is a really nice splash of color, thanks so much for sharing! - john

Rivverrat

That reel looks exceptional to me. ... Jeff

thorhammer

steelfish

very cool

love when someone think outside the box
The Baja Guy