Penn 321LH

Started by Roger, April 26, 2009, 02:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger

Picked up this 321LH that the worm gear & pawl were chewed up along with some corrision and rust on the bridge, main gear & sleeve. I'm trying to get the side plate off where I can just get rid of the line guide and leave it off but that side plate is way stuck. I really don't want to beat to hard for fear of cracking the graphite. Any suggestions?
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

alantani

grab an old boy scout knife and something you can use as a light hammer.  flip the reel over, line up with knife with the crease between the side plate and frame, give the back of the knife a light tap and pop it apart.  you will leave a slight mark, but it's better than prying it apart with a screwdriver.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Roger

Thanks Alan, I finally got off. I soaked it with some Kroil and was able to get a sharp pick in there and just worked my way around it till it popped off. Big pain just to get a worm gear out.
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain