Old Shimano TN-20 problem

Started by sebastianr240, November 07, 2022, 04:53:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sebastianr240

Thanks Jason. My only other complaint is that the clicker is pretty quiet compared to my other reels. It looks like part 590 is a little worn out at the tip and might need replacing, is it possible that 315 would need replacing too in order to restore loudness? Also is penn precision reel oil sufficient for AR bearing lubrication?

boon

Quote from: sebastianr240 on November 09, 2022, 07:08:35 PMIve seen this braid argument a few times. Can you explain how braid affects the drag? I assumed that it would be the same with mono except for stretch? Not sure how braid would put more pressure on the drag.

Per what Jason said, it's because of the small diameter for high breaking strain. Suddenly you could get a practical quantity of very strong line onto a relatively small reel - look at what was traditionally considered a "50lb" class reel, simply by virtue of needing to be large to have useful capacity.
It took reels quite a few years to catch up before we got small reels that had the strength to fish, say, 50lb line-class levels of drag (~15-20lb)

sebastianr240

Hi all,

I have a few more questions and observations that i've made on this reel.

1. Whenever i tighten down the clicker tension all the way on the left side plate, It works fine until the spool spins fast enough and then the clicker sound "fizzes" out and becomes quiet. It can be fixed by disengaging and engaging the clicker again, but the problem persists if the spool reaches a certain speed with the clicker on. Also the clicker is just a bit quiet in general.

2. I noticed that one of the blue brake collars on the right side of the spool was missing. 3/4 were there. I just removed the whole assembly because i'm not sure how having only 3/4 would affect the reel of at all. Is it necessary to replace the missing one to use the braking system? Is it even worth putting the system back in at all?

3. Is penn reel oil sufficient for AR bearing lubrication?

4. I'm only getting about 5 seconds of free spool spin. The bearings looked good and are quiet, I brushed out the stock grease and applied penn oil. How could I improve the time?

Thanks in advance for any answers to these questions, and for your patience.

-Sebastian

handi2

I still have the dogs and springs for that reel. Just PM name amend ill send them to you.

In fact I still have this TN40 I would like to sell it the highest offer!!

It was used for Grouper fishing in the Gulf off of Pensacola.

Keith

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

sebastianr240

Quote from: handi2 on November 10, 2022, 11:37:04 PMI still have the dogs and springs for that reel. Just PM name amend ill send them to you.

In fact I still have this TN40 I would like to sell it the highest offer!!

It was used for Grouper fishing in the Gulf off of Pensacola.

Keith

Thanks Keith! I pmed you.

sciaenops

Sebastian-

I just serviced my TN20 - its one of my favorite single speed reels. Yes, the clicker is definitely quieter than most others which doesn't bother me since I rarely if ever need it. I'm guessing leaving off the brakes will not affect (& prob enhance) performance. Make sure your spool tensioner knob on right side plate is backed off a bit, otherwise, a thorough cleaning of the internals (including pinion) and light oil lube on spool & plate bearings should increase free spool. If that doesn't work, try replacing bearings.

Keith

sebastianr240

Quote from: sciaenops on November 11, 2022, 02:44:09 AMSebastian-

I just serviced my TN20 - its one of my favorite single speed reels. Yes, the clicker is definitely quieter than most others which doesn't bother me since I rarely if ever need it. I'm guessing leaving off the brakes will not affect (& prob enhance) performance. Make sure your spool tensioner knob on right side plate is backed off a bit, otherwise, a thorough cleaning of the internals (including pinion) and light oil lube on spool & plate bearings should increase free spool. If that doesn't work, try replacing bearings.

Keith

Thanks for the insight Keith

sciaenops

Ha just checked mine & its 5 sec or less lol.

There's a thread originated by tugger that has more better advice, including mods to the left side plate. Search "Trinidad poor free spool".

Keith

Gfish

Tempting Keith. The braid itself is prolly worth $20 or more. Looks like one of Shimano's better reels.

Good way to clean ball-bearings is to remove the keeper ring and shield, soak them in carb. Cleaner for an hour or so. Then, holding with locking tool such as forceps, spray clean 'em with the same stuff. After drain and dry, lube time. It's difficult to tell if they are worn-out, though, until installed and you are casting something. Listen to sound and note spin time.
There's at least one thread here that includes keeper/shield removal.

AR bearings are whole other thing. Not seen the one's on this reel, but you don't wanna get any heavy duty solvents on any non-metal parts there-of. A SMALL amount of oil is supposed to work best. Some surely know better than I, based on experience.

I'm interested in the brake-block thing, too. i.e., is a spool negatively effected by an uneven # of them, or by 2-of them NOT opposing each other across the spool?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Rivverrat

Quote from: sebastianr240 on November 08, 2022, 05:42:03 PM
Quote from: Gfish on November 08, 2022, 03:21:58 PMCool! Looked at a schematic. Nice Shimano. The 20003 version had an AR bearing and the 20005 had an AR pawl on the main gear+the AR bearing(much better IMO). Never thought It'ed be just that. I too, have learned something new.

I heard some horror story about the AR bearing giving out and then the pawl as well leading to a knuclebuster.. hope that's not the case for me. I was planning on using the reel for mostly kingfishing anyway, so shouldn't use that much drag.

To be clear, I am no fan of Shimano reels, however it does seem this is most likely from using this reel or most reels past their intended purpose when things like this happen... Jeff

handi2

I am a big fan of Shimano reels. Almost all of mine are Shimano.

To answer your question The spring and dog are used to keep the reel from going backwards on you. The roller clutch bearing can easily fail using a heavy drag.

The purpose of the adjustable clicker is for when using live bait. Not really for producing more sound.

The Avet clickers are the worst. Ive had too change many of those.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

sebastianr240

Quote from: handi2 on November 11, 2022, 10:47:22 PMI am a big fan of Shimano reels. Almost all of mine are Shimano.

To answer your question The spring and dog are used to keep the reel from going backwards on you. The roller clutch bearing can easily fail using a heavy drag.

The purpose of the adjustable clicker is for when using live bait. Not really for producing more sound.

The Avet clickers are the worst. Ive had too change many of those.

I know the clicker knob just affects the tension. That's why it was strange when it was all the way tightened down and the clicker fizzed out and got very quiet.

sebastianr240

Anyone know where I can find tgt1304 and 1303 for the Antireverse dog upgrade? Are these parts even out there anymore?

alantani

as far as i know, they are no longer available.  my inventory disappeared a long time ago.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

sebastianr240

Shame. I tried the bic pen spring upgrade but I couldnt quite get the right amount of tension on the dog. If anyone knows where I can find these parts or alternatives.. let me know!