Different colour on Yamaha grease?

Started by Drisse, November 08, 2022, 12:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drisse

Hi folks!

I've never used the Yamaha grease before, but today I went to the local Yamahadealer to buy some. They only had a tube called Yamalube Lical Grease. I asked if it was the blue marine grease. They told me that it was the right grease, but it had a new beige colour. They didn't know why Yamaha changed colour on it? But I didn't buy it. But they were nice and gave me a little sample. Could it be right that it is the same as the blue grease?

RowdyW

Yamaha Marine Grease is still blue. Marine Grease is for use in saltwater & is resistant to salt water.      Rudy

Donnyboat

I see in Western Australia, they are now selling a green grease, I think it is processed in New Zealand, it had something to do with the trouble of transporting the original around the World, when the covid restictions were on. I really think if its not blue, dont buy it, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

philaroman

what's "LICAL" ?
is it lithium grease, rather than "marine"?
don't remember how/why it's bad for reels
quick to emulsify in S/W, maybe ???

Drisse

Quote from: RowdyW on November 08, 2022, 01:10:33 AMYamaha Marine Grease is still blue. Marine Grease is for use in saltwater & is resistant to salt water.      Rudy

Rudy, the seller told me they used this as allaround grease, but mostly for propeller axles. But I will keep on looking for the right blue grease. But my local Yamaha shop couldn't help me with it.

Drisse

Quote from: Donnyboat on November 08, 2022, 01:17:45 AMI see in Western Australia, they are now selling a green grease, I think it is processed in New Zealand, it had something to do with the trouble of transporting the original around the World, when the covid restictions were on. I really think if its not blue, dont buy it, good luck, cheers Don.

Thanks Donnyboat. I will keep on looking for the right blue grease.

Drisse

Quote from: philaroman on November 08, 2022, 01:32:09 AMwhat's "LICAL" ?
is it lithium grease, rather than "marine"?
don't remember how/why it's bad for reels
quick to emulsify in S/W, maybe ???

I asked, but they didn't know and the text on the tube didn't tell.

pointbob

Patience comes to those who wait

UKChris1

Here in the UK I bought some Yamaha marine grease (maybe two or three years ago) and it was beige. The only blue marine grease I could find relatively easily was Lucas. Both seem to work fine.

Drisse

Doesn't seem like the blue Yamaha grease can be found here in Sweden even if you go to a Yamahashop. I can buy it from Ebay, but the shippingcost is insane  :o

The Quicksilver Marine Grease 2-4-C PTFE can be bought here for descent money. Is it possible to mix with CorrosionX oil to get it thinner? Also the CorrosionX grease can be bought, but its way more expensive.

So which of those two greasebrands would be a good substitute to the Yamahagrease ?

JasonGotaProblem

What about super lube? That stuff is great.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

jurelometer

If you are not doing a lot of reels, you can just get one grease for both drag lube and general use.   As noted in the other thread, we look for a high dropping point and PTFE for drag use.  NLGI 2 is about the right thickness.

Drisse

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on November 09, 2022, 05:30:12 AMWhat about super lube? That stuff is great.

I could try that. Is it mixable with CorrosionX to make it thinner for bearings?