Torium/Trinidad vs. Saltist/Saltiga

Started by reelynuts, February 14, 2012, 10:30:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reelynuts

This may have been asked a thousand times, and may have been answered a thousand times. I know that I have seen the two compared in many places with many different responses and reactions. However, and I think I ask for many when I ask: Alan, in your travels and in your experience, regarding materials, design, function, performance, maintenance and/or repair, (not looking to start a big online brand loyalty fight,) If you personally were in the market for a new reel and it had to be between Shimano's product and Diawa's product, which would you choose? I would fully respect if you choose not to answer at all for whatever reason. I'm sure that nobody (especially me) wants to put you on the spot, but I'm sure that many would like to know your opinion given all of the experience that you have had and the many conversations that you have held through this site. It seems that everywhere you look, someone is comparing the two. Its often the Trinidad being compared to the Saltiga, or the Saltist being compared to the Torium. Being that (at least in the northeast) these reels seem very popular and seem to make up a bit of a majority of the reels being sold these days, I'm just kind of curious as to where you stand. I think through the 70's, 80's,and into the 90's, the Squidders, Jigmasters and small Senators(113,113h) seemed to fill the arsenals of everyones 15-20 lb., 20-30 lb., and 30-50 lb.(respectively) outfits. Being that there is such a vast saltwater fishery for that 15-50 lb. line class, and a huge shift from mono to braid (although not always for me and I'm sure many others), and as we have gotten spoiled by these quiet (non-clicking), smoooothe, fast, compact, lightweight, instant anti-reverse, etc. etc., etc.,-reels, and with these 4 models owning such a vast share of the market, I think that we would all like to know. Of course there is a price range difference, and as far as functionality vs. status is concerned, that can be another whole story. I guess that from what I see, the main differences among the same brands products (ie. Torium vs. Trinidad and Saltist vs. Saltiga) are machined bodies vs. cast bodies. I know that the Saltists are painted rather than anodized, and the Toriums have some plastic under some faux sideplates, etc., But apples to apples, oranges to oranges, in one word (Shimano or Diawa), which one would you buy. I guess I'm asking from a level price point. Lets say both are priced the same -model to model, size to size(ex. Trinidad 50-$400.00 and Saltiga 50-$400.00) If you would like to offer some Insight as to why you prefer one over the other, I'm sure we would all like to know. Or if you plea "no contest"- thats fine too. What I'm NOT trying to do is waste your time by trying to make you list every little difference between the two brands. What I would like to see is a response along the lines of "well, the anti reverses are almost identical, but If I had to buy one of the two more expensive ones it would be the        {blank}               ". Or "between the less expensive ones I would buy the   {blank}                             ". Or maybe you would prefer one of the less expensive ones over one of the more expensive ones for a reason other than price (ex. the $200.00 "           {blank}           " has better  "       {blank}       " than the $400.00 "         {blank}                    "    Please, Kindly fill in the {blanks}!     Thanks, Nuts   P.S. I hope you don't feel like I'm putting you on the spot.

reelynuts

Irish Jigger

Bryan Young

Shimano, but I also like the Daiwas.  I think Shimano slight over Daiwas.  It's my opinion.  Then it comes down to price.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

franky

Hello Reelynuts,

Gosh, that was some lengthy writeup  :D

Alan once mentioned to me that the best reel is the one that YOU can service YOURSELF.  ;D

That being said, some of the things to consider:

1. Take a look at the tutorials for both the Shimano and Daiwa reels.  Which one looks easier to service...

2. Of the two brands, which one has replaceable parts that are more readily and easily available based on where you live.  I know that with the internet, everything is easier to get.  However, if you could just go two blocks down from where you live and pick up a part at the local fishing supply shop and save on postage and waiting time....now theres value there as well.

Both Shimano and Diawa reels are popular and will bring in fish.

Lots of people also like Newells in Hawaii, but now with the difficulty in getting parts....hmmm not so fun anymore.  :-\  This is part of the reason why penns, although very basic, is one of every fishermans basic diet.  ;)

Hope this helps...   

Keta

I have reels made by most major manufactures but I own zero Daiwa reels, I do have a few Daiwa rods.

Todays Daiwa reels are well built and easy to maintain, I wouldn't feel handicapped if someone replaced my Trinidads with similar Daiwa reels.   The only "problem" I have with working on Daiwa reels is I don't have many Daiwa parts.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

redsetta

QuoteShimano, but I also like the Daiwas. I think Shimano slight over Daiwas.  It's my opinion. Then it comes down to price...
x2.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Bryan Young

Regarding servicing, they are almost equal.  Shimano are a littel easier to service yourself.  Daiwas, you need to be more careful, esp. when removing the main gear or you could damage the dog. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

not a problem.   ;D

all of the above comments offered above are true and valid.  for me, the short answer is shimano as the better reel. 

now, daiwa has some nice features.  daiwa has very quietly changed their position on greased carbon fiber drag washers and now offers them as standard in all of their fishing reels.   for that, then are to be commended.  no other manufacturer, not even okuma, offers that in EVERY reel.  the problem is the anti-reverse system in their saltists and saltigas.  it is simply not possible to upgrade the ambassaduer-style anti-reverse pawl to a spring loaded pawl.  that issue, and that one issue alone, is the deal killer for me. 

shimano has a pawl and spring that drop right in to replace the silent ambassaduer-style pawl.  you still have to replace the hard "dartanium" drag washers, you still have to do the bearing service, and you still have to coat the inside of the reel with grease to avoid corrosion.  these are things that we all do, when they should ideally be done for us at the manufacturing level.  it is simply the ability to bring the anti-reverse system up to 100% reliability that gives shimano the edge over daiwa for me.  hope that helps.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

reelynuts

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks guys!

CapeFish

the new Trinidad A comes standard with woven carbon fibre and a double (silent) dog system. The snag with it though is there is no more quickly taking off the left sideplate to lube the bearings, there is no left side plate! you have to undo the right plate and then the inner plate  :( :o ???. The rest of the reel is very nice and simple though and some clever changes made, the star drag nut is two parts, so if you do accidentally do a cross thread then you don't have to replace the entire star. The anti-reverse bearing also seems of exceptional quality.

We have a Saltiga Hyper model here that kicks out more drag than the standard, but they kept the same feeble anti-reverse pawl. I prefer the saltiga frame design over the Trini A. The saltist is prone to corrosion and needs looking after.

basto

One more point to the Torium is the stud that the dog rotates on is a stainless stud, unlike the Saltist , which has a stud that is part of the alloy frame casting.
I remember seeing one sheered off a Saltist.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n