Jigging master reels

Started by reelynuts, February 14, 2012, 11:22:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reelynuts

Does anybody have any insight to these reels? I'm sure that anyone who dropped a few hundred on one likes it, but is there anyone out there who does not own one (or more) that has serviced or repaired or used one that can comment. My take on it is (and no I do not, nor will I own one - I'm not a Jig guy, I'm a bait and troll guy) that unless you are a full time big tuna jigger (and even then) it is pointless. My friend has one (he claims 80 lbs. drag)and wants to buy another even bigger one. Seems to have too steep of a drag curve, and I cant see what you need 80 pounds of drag for. I've broken 250 lb mono on less than 80 pounds of drag on an International 130 (long story) that was in a rod holder that (as a last ditch effort, before or as the line broke-a few feet from being spooled) bent the rod (130 lb. class) in a way that no human could ever do standing up-period. Besides, if you are jigging (as I see it the reel is only good for), that fish will be hooked pretty close to the outside of the mouth. 8o lbs. of drag should rip most fish in half or at least rip the hook from it's mouth or break most hooks. I also feel that small reels have small parts, and small parts wont stand the test of time. Cant wait to see how many of them will still be catching big fish after 40 or 50 years like an old 50W International. The Jigging Master reels just look like cheap, overseas junk to me also. Like something you would see in a display case at a flea market next to a $3.00 throwing star and a $12.00 Katana. But that's just me. What do you guys think? ???

Clem

Hi reelynuts..

I'm no expert but I can give you my opinion...

I've got a JM PE3 and a PE5N, I have had them for almost a couple of years and have used them primarily for jigging (originally back home in NZ)..I say primarily as I have used them to stray line and live bait when I can't be bothered jigging... I agree with your comments regarding the drag ratings, I have done a few mods to mine to suit my style of fishing but out of the box the drag range is quite narrow (which doesn't really matter for jigging - you're either on or off).

The PE3 is my lite setup and it sits on a 150gm jigpro rod - its loaded with JIGMAX PE3 which tests around 45lb - the drag is set to 17lb.
I try not to put too much pressure on my rods, so the moment I think the fish is getting close to the boat the rod gets tucked up under my arm to decrease the angle and chance of high sticking the rod...the 17lb works for me - obviously nowhere near the suggested max

The PE5 is on a 300gm jigpro and it loaded with JIGMAX PE5 which tests around 70lb - the drag is set to 22lb and occasionally I'll run it at around 30lb...to me that is plenty - again, nowhere near the suggested max

I can't complain about reliability, both have worked well and were being fished 2 or 3 times a week...less now I'm in Dubai, a lot of the boys back home are using them including the Kingi charters..

All that said, there are a lot of reels that could be used to the same effect...40/50years time? good question....

Fishing products are a license to print money, it's the equivalent of make up for women :-) does a $215.00 popper work that much better....or do you really need 300lb split rings with a 50lb mainline?...

I think JM did a particularly good job with marketing....fishing with the gear, for decent size fish - on respected charters - and then throwing it on youtube was a good plan...

Likes: Weight - both of the combos above are super light in weight and easily have the ability to run the drag settings I like to fish with

Dislikes: Price

hafnor

paal

I don't own one, and don't have any plans for buying one. But I did look at schematics and rebuilds, out of curiousity. Seems to be a high number of screws in them, internally. So they look a bit "high maintenance" to me.
You could use loctite on them to avoid them backing out with use. And risk corrosion that would prevent repairs or service.
Or grease them, and then check periodically.
Just an observation, reels should be seriviced regularly anyway, but all those screws would make it a bit more labor I guess.
But hafnor knows, he's opened a few of them :)

Irish Jigger

Looks like you have made your mind up already.
Why not show some consideration for the Forum members here who own and have written excellent Tutorials on these reels rather than concluding your post with the following cheap jibe? :-[

Quote from: reelynuts on February 14, 2012, 11:22:37 AM
The Jigging Master reels just look like cheap, overseas junk to me also. Like something you would see in a display case at a flea market next to a $3.00 throwing star and a $12.00 Katana. But that's just me. What do you guys think? ???

redsetta

Good post Clem.
They suit certain styles of fishing very well and charter guys that I know love 'em.
Horses for courses and to each their own, as they say...  ;)
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

conchydong

Think of an ACCURATE type reel (B series) with double dogs.

reelynuts

I'll bet IrishJigger has at least one ;D. I certainly dont mean to "bash" the reels or the folks who own them. I was more looking for the kind of responses that we got. Someone confirmed the "narrow drag curve", someone added that they seemed a little "high maintenance" or maybe a little temperamental, and maybe more positive or negative replies will continue to fall into place. I am simply curious. Maybe others were wondering the same thing. I'll admit that I can be opinionated, but usually not without reason. I guess that I am just old fashioned and stuck in my ways. I believe having and offering an opinion is still legal in this country, and I offered mine. My experience with Taiwan made reels is limited to one reel called an Atlas legend 200. I have owned and continue to own over 100 various reels. I have had one reel out of all of my reels (until now) that has needed a replacement bearing in 40 years of hard fishing (some were used when given to me when I was a little kid). It was a Penn 7500 SS spinner -approx.17 years old- based on the fact that the girlfriend whom I bought the reel with at the time is since married with a 12 year old son. Yes many of my reels are Jigmasters, Senators, etc., that have few or no ball bearings at all, but I still have many Diawa's, Abu's, Shimano's, etc. that do have ball bearings and that I personally have never had problems with (knock wood). In fact this Penn spinner was an old reel that I lent to my 12 year old nephew for the summer, and I don't know how he used it on his 13 foot Boston Whaler, or if it was ever submerged in saltwater (I'm sure it got its share of spray on that boat) or rinsed after use, or what. I do know that there was not much paint left on the reel when he told me that the handle was getting a little hard to turn (but no corrosion despite the lack of paint) . I replaced the bearing and back to new working condition. Now -back to my Atlas 200. I was at my local bait and tackle shop one day hanging out with the other fishermen when this Atlas rep. walks in to try to get the shop to start carrying Atlas Reels. I thought the reel seemed to be priced right, looked kind of neat (maybe a little Taiwanish), and fairly similar to an equivalent sized Avet for less money with supposedly a better warranty, more drag, blah, blah, blah. So I bought the reps. sample on the spot. I thought if I was ever in Montauk -fluke fishing, and a little blue fin tuna came along that I might have a shot. Maybe the reel could handle it. So I take it to Fla. in July for the reels baptism on a drift boat bottom fishing for snappers, etc. Funny, the reel doesn't freespool (never been used- and worked fine at the shop and on the line machine, and made 3-4 casts on the grass) . I had the drag adjusted all the way back (preset knob about to fall off) and still had to pull line off the spool with my hand to reach bottom. Not happy, but it reeled in fine-as it should-first day and all. So the guy who owns the tackle shop is next to me on the head boat (we were in Fla. for his wedding along with the whole wedding party on the boat- even the girls) he assures me that the rep would replace it. Of course it worked fine when we got home, but only intermittently.  So I get the new replacement and take it blackfishing on Oct. 1st. opening day. I blackfish a lot as we have a short season that ends in Dec.. Now, not two weeks have passed since this new reel was used for the first time, (maybe 8 trips at best) and the pinion bearing is getting crunchy. Yes I do rinse my reels thoroughly against what many say(I dis-agree), and I have done this with every reel that I have ever owned including those Diawas, Shimanos, etc. AND- GET THIS, I even pre serviced this reel with grease all over the inside of the reel. I know about electrolysis between dis-similar metals (being a marine/outboard motor mechanic since the age of 15-I'm now 42), and did as I have done for 25+years, greased everything inside with extra around the screws and bearings, and I also kind of "Waxed" the exterior of this reel (as well as all of my other reels) with grease- sealing out saltwater on the aluminum body- especially where access is limited (stainless steel reel foot riveted to aluminum body always turns white before aluminum starts to "pit"). (The first reel was not pre serviced; bought it and jumped on a plane to Fla.) So what I'm getting at is that I have been steering myself and others away from Tiawan made products for years, then let down my guard and got burned. So Yes-I have made up my mind through my personal experiences, that Taiwanese reel manufacturers use inferior alloys in their bearings, aluminum billet or bar stock, stainless steel machine screws and stainless steel machined parts like gears, etc., and could vastly improve their anodizing processes, and unless as I asked what you guys or anyone else with experience or an opinion think about the Jigging Masters, I would have no reason to feel any differently. If they are great then they are great and I will have learned something. But please tell me why they are great so that I can make an evaluated decision, and wont just be relying on personal bad experiences. However, for now, my gut tells me, and this is my legal "opinion", that these reels probably WILL NOT still be catching fish in 40-50 years like old Internationals ARE. But I know that I'm comparing apples to oranges (or Ninja throwing stars to Ninja fishing reels) You decide, then please offer your "opinion". Tight Lines (80 lbs.of drag) to all!, Nuts   

Irish Jigger

Dominick

Reelynuts:  I have no opinion on the Jigging Master since I have not used these reels, but your experience is well stated.  I don't blame you for your opinion based on that experience.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

basto

I don`t think there is any form of fishing that is as hard on a reel as deep water jigging with up to 500gm jigs.
These reels are purpose built to do this day after day. They are surprisingly light for their power.
I can understand that not everyone would like their asthetics, but to me they are like the Ferrari of the fishing world.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n