Penn 550SSG

Started by thorhammer, November 15, 2022, 04:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Hey folks, I have an estate reel from a buddy, was missing bail roller assembly. I don't normally truck with SSG personally, so was surprised to see two BB's as part of the roller vs. historical bushing. Before I put 30 bucks ($23 for two BB's) of parts in a 50 dollar reel, even tho in good shape, has anyone retrofitted 5500SS bushing, roller to the SSG arm? The old parts went to all sorts of reels, 704's Z's, SS's etc. I'm gonna try it since I have parts but seeing if anyone had done it.

JasonGotaProblem

If it's anything like the 7500SS vs 750SSm the line roller shaft of the ssm is narrower than the SS so you can't go the other direction but you can potentially put the US line roller and bushing on a Chinese SSg with wiggle room, but can't do the opposite.

Also does it need to be the expensive Chinese penn bearing or did you search by size on the bay?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

thorhammer

Thats about what I figgered. Will hunt alt bearings if needed. He got the reel for $37 so avoiding putting another 30 in for a fourth string backup reel. 

handi2

I have those bearings. They are only 2mm thick

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

thorhammer

Bump; I just replaced the bearings. We got enough value out of the deal we still aren't hurt.