Abu 6500 TCS Trophy collection idler gear

Started by retiredandfishing, November 16, 2022, 01:54:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retiredandfishing

Have a 6500 TCS trophy collection in the shop.  Idler gear is shot.  On this model the idler gear is pinned into the side plate, no screw to allow it to be removed.  Anyone know of a fix for this other than a new side plate?  If it needs a new side plate would anyone know the part number?  I cannot find a schematic that shows a non removable idler gear anywhere.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks Steve

pointbob

Quote from: retiredandfishing on November 16, 2022, 01:54:20 AMHave a 6500 TCS trophy collection in the shop.  Idler gear is shot.  On this model the idler gear is pinned into the side plate, no screw to allow it to be removed.  Anyone know of a fix for this other than a new side plate?  If it needs a new side plate would anyone know the part number?  I cannot find a schematic that shows a non removable idler gear anywhere.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks Steve

are you sure the idler gear (cog) cannot come off? I may be mixing up my terminology but if its the cog on the left side plate which is primarily for the level wind thingy then you can cut it off and replace...in this schematic I'm looking at part #23....its for the trophy reel version you have i believe....if it is,,then it's an easy removal and replace...

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/abu-garcia-6500-tcst-ambassadeur-parts-c-187196_187197_187569.html

how to remove

Patience comes to those who wait

retiredandfishing

Thanks for the video.  Then I assume the new one just snaps on the post.  That's the hack I was looking for. Thanks again.

Steve

handi2

I use a piece of monofilament line under the idler gear to pop it off.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

retiredandfishing

Thanks for the solutions.  I found another on the web.  Heat up the plastic with a heat gun or hair dryer.  Lift underneath it with a screw driver and it pops off.