Honda Recon 250 or Kawasaki Brute Force 300 ATV

Started by jgp12000, November 21, 2022, 04:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

I am shopping for a 2WD 4 wheeler and have narrowed my choice between these 2.The Honda doesn't have a belt which I like,but is air-cooled with a smaller engine.The Kawasaki has a larger engine,belt,and is liquid cooled.
Any 4 wheeler gurus please chime in?

foakes

There are likely a lot more experts on here who know much more about these smaller 2WD Quads.

Just my opinion —-  both brands are excellent.

I would be more partial to the Honda because of proven performance, longevity, and reliability under tough conditions.

If the belt drive on the Kawasaki's is like the clutch/belt drive on snowmobiles (I don't know that) the belts will need periodic replacement.

I have owned a Polaris 750, a couple of 500 Classics, a 440 Trail SKS, and a little 250 SkiDoo.  All decent snow sleds.

One thing I do know —- Hondas are well built.

I have owned a Honda Mini-Trail 70, an outboard motor, a pressure washer, a generator, a lawnmower.  None has ever failed or had an unrepairable issue.  Plus a few Honda vehicles.

If Honda made Snowmobiles and chainsaws —- they would own a large chunk of the market within 10 years.

Either quad should serve you well though.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

My son has a Honda and he doesn't take care of anything he owns. It starts and goes at the touch of a button.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

jgp12000

Well I called all over GA & TENN, then found a local dealer that had one to test drive.Then had to leave to meet bug man.We haggled back and forth texting and while I was waiting to here back a response for my final offer, I found a Kawasaki dealer in Alabama that had the only other one that could be had.They aren't shipping any out til January,the Honda plant is being moved from SC to NC.I got this one for $1200 drive out less than the local dealer.3% sales tax in Alabama ,no tax in Tenn, if you are out of state.

Remember this one ...

handi2

I guess that's 900cc's. That thing is going to be fun and fast!!

Be safe.

I raced dirt bikes in the late 60's up until 1977.

My first dirt bike was a Mako 250. I believe the rear sprocket was 12" in diameter. It would only go 50mph but would do it in 30 feet.

Next was the first run of the Honda Elsinore.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

jgp12000

The 300 is 271cc will go 50mph,it's faster than I wanna go on one, 30mph is fast enough fer me...I bet that Mako was quick! Funnie thing when  I was shopping I missed the fact the BF 300 has a CVT which is nice  but louder than the semi-auto Honda Recon.