Ling grabbing Salmon

Started by broadway, February 14, 2012, 09:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

Thought of you west coast boys when I saw this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaHZYOKmgmU&feature=related
Awesome footage!
Dom

redsetta

That's epic Dom - great post.
Cheers mate, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Nessie Hunter

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Maxed Out

Quote from: broadway on February 14, 2012, 09:42:30 PM
Thought of you west coast boys when I saw this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaHZYOKmgmU&feature=related
Awesome footage!
Dom

No surprise that the salmon eventually got away........Really cool footage for sure. Thanks for posting Dom.

We catch big lings every so often that have ahold of a nice rockfish and refuse to let go, until the gaff hits 'em in the brain, then it's too late.

Those lings have inward facing super sharp teeth that only go in deeper with every flip of the fish they have ahold of. We occasionally catch them upwards of 50 lbs off the Washington coast while deepsea halibut fishing. Very good eating.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Bryan Young

Cool video and nice ling you got there.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Wow!  I've caught lings out of Half Moon Bay (northern California).  I was not aware that they attacked fish as big as themselves.  Now I know I can use big bait when fishing for lings.  We usually use cut Herring or Anchovies.  I always use a 1 1/2 to 2 inch piece on the hook.  The next time I am going to try a whole Herring.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Norcal Pescador

Dom - Nice video! See what you're missing out here?

Dominick - yes, go for the bigger bait. I use a minimum 4" scampi on a 4 ounce leadhead and often a 6" when I'm after lings. Getting a hitchhiker is always a rush.

Of course, the lingcod is acting like a typical bottom-feeder: "Duh, I've got him. Now what do I do?"
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

broadway

Nice fish, Ted!  That things got a gut like my dad!  ;D
Love all the blood, too! That's a great day of fishing to me... until I gotta clean the boat, of course  :o
Thanks
Dom

alantani

too bad about the salmon.  i am certain that he did not survive the encounter.  at least the crabs will eat well. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

broadway

Survival of the fittest... I wouldn't be surprised if that ling got him when that video ended... even if the camera man didn't see it.
Dom

Maxed Out

You'd be surprised how much damage a salmon can endure and survive.

For those that are interested we fish up here in washington offshore waters with pipe jigs and bounce 'em hard on bottom and it drives those lings totally crazy....We make 'em ourselves.....just fill the pipes with lead and add the hardware......Here is a pic....These ones are 9" long made with 3/4" copper and rigged with a 250 lb swivel on top and the middle has a cotter pin with a 200 lb split ring and 250 lb swivel and a 14/0 treble hook......Finished weight is approx. 35 ounces give or take.

Norcal Pescador

Awesome!! I've got to make some of those! I fish off Trinidad for lings and it's loaded with rocks so I lose jigs every trip. :'(   Any trouble with these hanging up where you are?
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

broadway

Ted,

Great rigs!  Are they attracted to the sound of the pipe on the rocks?  How is the cotter pin connected in the center of the pipe?
Thanks
Dom

Maxed Out

Quote from: broadway on February 18, 2012, 08:01:10 PM
Ted,

Great rigs!  Are they attracted to the sound of the pipe on the rocks?  How is the cotter pin connected in the center of the pipe?
Thanks
Dom

Here are a couple more pics..........The cotter pin is inserted thru a drilled hole after the lead has cooled. The swivel is put on the cotter pin prior to inserting. Then after bending the ends of the cotter pin I put electrical tape around the cotter pin so the line cannot get stuck on the bent over ends of the cotter pin while fishing.Then you add a split ring which attaches the swivel and hook. The top is simply a downrigger weight eyelet with a swivel, carefully held in place with needlenose pliers while the lead is poured. The pipe should be long enough so the 14/0 hook cannot foul on the top or bottom of the pipe. The combination of copper and lead makes it act like a battery that has just enough amperage to attract the fish. The banging on the bottom also stimulates curiousity as most bottom feeders have lateral lines that detect the noise from a far distance. We generally try to stay away from super rocky places or these jigs will catch the rocks. We just jig really close to the structure in fairly sandy or flat rock areas

alantani

a buddy of mine uses copper pipe like this.  it seems very effective!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!