How much freespool?

Started by vudo, February 15, 2012, 04:02:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vudo

Finally got the nerve to tear into my first two 6500 CL3 after receiving the carbontex washers from Dawn.  Oil on the spool bearings w/ Reel X, grease everywhere else.  If I give the handle a quick spin, the line guide will travel from one side to the other.  Quite an improvement from before where it would only goes quarter to a half of that distant.  I read one of Alan's post where he gets the line guide to move back and forth 13 times?  I can't seem to find that post, but my question is how much freespool should I get?  The small knob on the right is loose btw.  I would think for a good distant cast, I need a little more freespool?  What do you think?

Bryan Young

I just completed a Abu 7000. Had one bushing, and seems the other bushing was missing.  I replace the bushing with an open and lubed bearing, and the missing bearing also with an open and lubed bearing.  I cleaned the worm gear and pawl and also lubed.  I get maximum 5 back and forth on the line guide.  I'm sure I could get more, but I really cannot get a good grip on the spool to spin it do to the cross bars.  Oh, and this is with those black plastic weights that is supposed to slow the spool down to limit backlash.  I hope the guy whom I serviced for doesn't immediately backlash is reel thinking that it's sticky.  That will be bad.

The lube of choice was TSI301.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

vudo

Forgot to mention I took the paw and lead screw apart, cleaned and lube with Reel X also.  Is TSI301 that much better? 

alantani

yeah, the tsi 301 is phenomenal!  there are a few tricks to the whole process.  the main thing is to clean everything out and then lube it with tsi 301.  everything includes the levelwind assembly.  also, the plastic idler gear that sticks onto the left side of the spool has a hole that the spool shaft stick out of.  i ream that out with a 1/8th inch drill bit to give it a little more room.  that's about all!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

vudo

Thanks Alan.  I'll give TSI301 a shot.

Killerbug

Quote from: vudo on February 15, 2012, 04:02:10 AM
Finally got the nerve to tear into my first two 6500 CL3 after receiving the carbontex washers from Dawn.  Oil on the spool bearings w/ Reel X, grease everywhere else.  If I give the handle a quick spin, the line guide will travel from one side to the other.  Quite an improvement from before where it would only goes quarter to a half of that distant.  I read one of Alan's post where he gets the line guide to move back and forth 13 times?  I can't seem to find that post, but my question is how much freespool should I get?  The small knob on the right is loose btw.  I would think for a good distant cast, I need a little more freespool?  What do you think?

I think you will be fine, maximum freespool is not the major factor in casting. Just as important is the type of spool you use, and the bait.
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

GulfOfBothnia

Ken_D

Quote from: alantani on February 16, 2012, 07:22:50 AM
yeah, the tsi 301 is phenomenal!  there are a few tricks to the whole process.  the main thing is to clean everything out and then lube it with tsi 301.  everything includes the levelwind assembly.  also, the plastic idler gear that sticks onto the left side of the spool has a hole that the spool shaft stick out of.  i ream that out with a 1/8th inch drill bit to give it a little more room.  that's about all!

Another trick for a bit of friction reduction, and much ease of maintain after the fact is to lose the little dimple on the top of the idler gear.  This assumes your reel is current.

Carve off the dimple, chamfer the top of the hole, and use an e-clip, like Abu used to do.  Removal of a dimpled gear has caused many a major screw-up, as the entire post can sometimes come off with the gear still attached. Ouch. Bye-bye, 30.00 sideplate !!

wallacewt

i have the 6600c3ld
would a lever drag be less effecient than a star drag
i can only get 5sec f/spool.new bearings/tsi301/no level wind/no left plate clicker/no drag brakes.
pressure plate dont touch drag.
reel is spotless,no bent shaft.
5 secs
put it all back together with everything connected,same 5secs!

GulfOfBothnia

Quote from: wallacewt on April 22, 2012, 03:10:50 AM
i have the 6600c3ld
would a lever drag be less effecient than a star drag
i can only get 5sec f/spool.new bearings/tsi301/no level wind/no left plate clicker/no drag brakes.
pressure plate dont touch drag.
reel is spotless,no bent shaft.
5 secs
put it all back together with everything connected,same 5secs!

And you have a small clearance in spool shaft (I mean spool control knob(s) not too tight)?

Sounds like problem is isolated to bearings...
Did you wash them before putting TSI301 in?

GulfOfBothnia

Yesterday I played a little with my 4600c3. Rebuilt drag stack with carbontex and cal's grease.

I did not measure time but line guide went 12 times back and forth when reel had all parts in place (including centrifugal brake blocks).

I have a new totally tricked out 4500C custom made by Jerry Foran with 6 bearings including a double bearing levelwind with a ceramic pawl.  Its levelwind doesnt travel anymore than a stock 4600C3.  But it casts twice as far, so I dont think that "trick" matters at all.  You tube has more than a dozen videos of guys showing off their freespool. But each one is reeling in at mach speed and then throwing the mechs out of gear to display the reels ability.  I cant imagine that being good for your reel or a test of its true ability.

Ken_D

What 0119 said. I suspect a reel that loose would backlash every time ?    

wallacewt

thanks gulf
cleaned and dipped (new bearings)
tension knob set correctly
it also casts very well (with weight)
level wind crosses once!(without weight)
???

Makule

Something definitely wrong if you are getting only 5 seconds, and one cross of the level wind. 

With the reel in free spool, check for any binding (even slight). 

Clean the main shaft and the little gear that slides on it well and then lube with TSI 301.  Check to see that the little gear spins freely on the shaft, as it may be slightly tight.  You may need to ream it slightly larger (I think Alan goes with 1/8").

Be sure to clean everything associated with the level wind.  Clean it well as this is where at lot of gunk can build up since it's not protected.  Lube all the moving parts with the 301.

Quote from: wallacewt on April 23, 2012, 01:03:56 AM
thanks gulf
cleaned and dipped (new bearings)
tension knob set correctly
it also casts very well (with weight)
level wind crosses once!(without weight)
???
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.