Tiagra TI 130 drag problem

Started by retiredandfishing, November 29, 2022, 05:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retiredandfishing

Working on a TI 130 in the shop.  First one I've done.  Took it down and cleaned it up and greased the bearings.  Have not gone into the Right side yet.  Put it back to together and found the drag does not want to release all the way, it had been no problem before I took it apart. The left side plate takes pressure to put it back on and it will not go all the way into free spool. Worked with it some.  Had another 130 in shop so took that down and looked to see if I had put anything back wrong, but I had not.  Tested the spool assembly from the problem reel into the other reel.  Everything worked fine.  So I'm sure the problem is in the the drag system in the right side plate. Also put the spool assembly into the good reel from the problem reel and there was still the drag problem. 

Wondering if anyone has any inside information on the problem and any special information about taking the right side apart and what this problem might be.

Thanks, Steve

alantani

first thought is that the cam is not properly seated.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

retiredandfishing

Quote from: alantani on November 29, 2022, 07:07:00 PMfirst thought is that the cam is not properly seated.   :-\

Worked with it again.  Something I neglected to check first time. Pinion bearing is not retracting into it's seat at the depth it should as compared to the other reel that is working.  Very noticeable depth difference.  Pinion bearing on the non working reel remains almost level with the frame when lever is in free spool position.  On the other the pinion retracts about a quarter of an inch below frame. So that must be the problem.  So cam under the pinion bearing is what you refer to Alan?  Puzzled as to how this could have occurred as I have not had it out yet, but it sure points to that. 

So I'll need to go into the right side plate and free it up? 

Thanks, Steve

alantani

it drifts out of position when you're not looking. gotta wiggle the lever to make sure that the female cam is properly seated, then rotate the preset knob to make sure that the male cam is properly seated.

retiredandfishing

Quote from: alantani on November 29, 2022, 08:20:22 PMit drifts out of position when you're not looking. gotta wiggle the lever to make sure that the female cam is properly seated, then rotate the preset knob to make sure that the male cam is properly seated.

Took off the right side plate.  You are right, drag lever misaligned with the cam socket.  Must have slipped out when I was working on the reel with the pinion bearing out.  Reel works fine now. Thanks Alan. Wish all my fixes were that easy.

Steve

alantani

"any 20 minute job is one broken bolt away from being a 3 day ordeal.......  "

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer