113hn vs. 6/0

Started by luis, April 27, 2009, 03:52:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luis

Hey Alan. How big of a difference in lbs. of drag do you think there is between the Baja special and a regular 6/0?  Also, what are the pros and cons of using either for bottom fishing? I really like the Baja special, but there is nothing like knowing you got a 6/0 on you rod when a 45 lb. black hits your rod. Thanks for the insight. Luis

alantani

they are kind of apples and oranges.  the 113hn is far superior to the 113h.  no contest.  the 114H is bigger, slower and actually has a higher drag range. both the 113hn and the 114h will deliver more than 20#'s of drag.  that's enough to launch me over the rail.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

But you can pick up a 6/0 cheap compared to the Baha Special. I think the 6 is my favorite all time reel of classic senators. I have 5 of them. One is soon going on a Tiburon extra wide frame.
Life is Good!

JA_Angler

Alan, just to clarify your point please, the 114h will do 20lb drag with no chance of reel failure?

alantani

yes.  i have fished the penn 113h at 15 pounds and the 114h at 20 pounds.  it's just that 20 pounds of drag on a single speed reel is pretty brutal. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

conchydong

Luis, if you are going "old school" grouper fishing and using all heavy mono like 80lb test, then the 6/0 is the proven standard. If you are using braid with a mono topshot, then I would go with the Baja Special.
Both will get the job done but I like the Baja myself.
Scott

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on September 24, 2013, 08:20:41 PM
yes.  i have fished the penn 113h at 15 pounds and the 114h at 20 pounds.  it's just that 20 pounds of drag on a single speed reel is pretty brutal. 
With a 114H that is able to go over 40# by using the Hexagon gears, fishing it at 20# will take way less effort. The reel with the upgrades is a much smoother reel than the stock 114H at highest settings.
About the single speed, nothing that a nice power handle can't fix. ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

I own both reels.  If I had to give up one it would be the HN.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

redsetta

QuoteI own both reels.  If I had to give up one it would be the HN.
Thus endeth the lesson  ;) ;D
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Bunnlevel Sharker

I run my 4/0w n fish that would make a lot of guys cry with 20+ drag. No problemo
Grayson Lanier

Shark Hunter

Well said Dom!
The lesson endeth! ;)
Life is Good!