Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

A couple more including a DAM Quick.
Gulf Breeze, FL

JasonGotaProblem

Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Gfish

Yeah, as soon as I saw the numbers on the tail-plate, I thought DAM.
Keith, I have one those Pflueger Capitol's, but have never used it. Any opinions on it?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

thorhammer

The Abus and Champion are personal favorites. Greg, I havent used my Pfluegers but they seem pretty stout- I have some vintage rods I keep telling myself to line up and go use but I barely get out as it is.

handi2

I can't use a Baitcast reel! I've tried many times but it makes no sense after growing up using a spinning reel.

I can cast perfectly every time with a spinning reel.

I understand the concept but it just won't work for me.

I go have a number of split bamboo rods in all flavors. From deep sea to light tackle
Gulf Breeze, FL

JasonGotaProblem

I still suck at it. But I'm annoyingly persistent. Sooner or later it'll pay off. I hope.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

thorhammer

My dad had me stand on a bucket and pitch and cast into another bucket, forehand, backhand, overhand, flip. I havent bass fished to any large degree in almost 30 years but when I do, I pull out my fav 1972 5500C and go into docks, brush etc., from a long ways out, past the driver, being in the back behind my brother in law who fishes weekly. He just turns and gives me a stare down as he motors closer to where he can hit from  >:D

Practice in yard. A good starting point for larger round reels, ABU 5-6, Millionaires etc is a seven foot rod with one ounce lead and 17 lb test, cast control so the spool just turns when out of gear. You work back from there. no one ever needed the 175 yds or so that reel will hold for a bass, so you can keep line 3/16 down in spool and it gets easier. Throwing Abu long on a surf stick: 10-11 footer is your friend, same drill, same line fill to learn, but use 3-4 oz until you get comfortable in your casting technique- slow is smooth, smooth is fast, as you are learning when to lean into your specific rod

Anyone has never blown up a reel is satisfied with mediocre results, or won't fish in wind. They make bulk spools for private citizens. You see guys at The Point with bulkers mounted on their truck boxes like wireman's during drum season, for ease of changing out.

handi2

I just realized that the Pflueger is a quick take apart like the jigmaster
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

If anyone wants one or all of these just make an offer.

Keith
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shellbelly

Quote from: handi2 on December 07, 2022, 08:29:46 PMI just realized that the Pflueger is a quick take apart

Yes.  Capitol came in several models.  I think the largest Capitol may have been #1989 and is 4/0 in size.  Their Sea King model #2188, smaller and wider, had the same feature and a similar look.  Those old Pflueger reels don't come up for discussion very often.  They deserve a parking spot in a collection.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

handi2

I'm going post some pictures of the larger reels on deep sea split bamboo rods.
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

Quote from: thorhammer on December 07, 2022, 08:29:24 PMMy dad had me stand on a bucket and pitch and cast into another bucket, forehand, backhand, overhand, flip. I havent bass fished to any large degree in almost 30 years but when I do, I pull out my fav 1972 5500C and go into docks, brush etc., from a long ways out, past the driver, being in the back behind my brother in law who fishes weekly. He just turns and gives me a stare down as he motors closer to where he can hit from  >:D

Practice in yard. A good starting point for larger round reels, ABU 5-6, Millionaires etc is a seven foot rod with one ounce lead and 17 lb test, cast control so the spool just turns when out of gear. You work back from there. no one ever needed the 175 yds or so that reel will hold for a bass, so you can keep line 3/16 down in spool and it gets easier. Throwing Abu long on a surf stick: 10-11 footer is your friend, same drill, same line fill to learn, but use 3-4 oz until you get comfortable in your casting technique- slow is smooth, smooth is fast, as you are learning when to lean into your specific rod

Anyone has never blown up a reel is satisfied with mediocre results, or won't fish in wind. They make bulk spools for private citizens. You see guys at The Point with bulkers mounted on their truck boxes like wireman's during drum season, for ease of changing out.

I did try....!

Two years wi bought the Daiwa lexa 400 high power and the 300.

I worked with the 300 off my dock every day for a while.

I got to where I could only throw heavier lures for Speckled Trout. My favorite lure was the MirrorDine which is light. I had to use a spinning reel to use the lighter lure.

My favorite Speckled Trout setup was the Shimano Sustain 2500, Power Pro Maxquatro 15lb. Super thin braid. The rod I don't remember but it was 7'6" with a very fast tip.

I could throw 2 docks down which I guesstimated at 70 feet or more
Gulf Breeze, FL

thorhammer

I like the mirrodine a lot, but it ain't happenin' in the wind around us with a baitcaster. Maybe with one of Bob's souped up 2500's but not yer regular reel.

One of the best bass lures up here is the Bomber Speed Shad, and I'm certain that anything eating small pogies will eat that too. However, it casts about like a sheet of paper.

handi2

I do have some souped up Ambassaduer 2500's. Double BB cog, double BB levelwind, etc.

The levelwind spins 10 times back and forth when you spin it.

I will post them too....
Gulf Breeze, FL