Penn International VSX 16 Real Life Max Drag with Free Spool

Started by H-Factor, February 15, 2012, 06:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H-Factor

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the form and maybe this has been discussed, but can anyone tell me the real max drag #s at strike that the new Penn VSX 16 will make, while still allowing complete free spool?  Or, enough free spool to drop a 6 oz lead down with bait, while not having assist the reel by hand free lining.  I know what it says on Penn's website, but can anyone who has this reel or tested it give me estimates or hard numbers?  I live in Florida and I'm going to use it for grouper/snapper etc....using it for bottom fishing because I like the low gear ratio with the option of a high retrieve. 

Thank You

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nuvole

Mine hit around 35lb and enough free spool for live bait w/o sinker.

alantani

cool.  you know, when you get to this class reel, they all seem to work equally well.  then it becomes a matter of longevity.  which reel is put together the best and will last the longest before it needs servicing. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nuvole

Mine was use extensively for the past two years. It stay on the deck 12 hours a day for range of 1-3 months depending on my job offshore. After my 12 hours shift, I just rinse it with fresh water. I do fully dismantle and re-grease it when I get back home. It weight like a tank and works like one.