Spooling braid onto a reel

Started by alantani, December 09, 2022, 06:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Quote from: steelfish on March 27, 2023, 11:02:57 PM
Quote from: UKChris1 on March 24, 2023, 03:31:29 PMJust a thought for those of us who don't have access to a line spooling machine...
........This will load that second reel quite hard.
Next, set the drag on the second (donor) reel to something close to the strike drag of your target reel.
Finally, wind the line off the donor reel onto your target reel........

Great idea.  I'm stealing this Alex!  Bill

been there done that

Quote from: scrinch on March 24, 2023, 05:57:00 PMUsing this method, how do you hold the reels as you transfer the line?

my method, I have two 2-pc rods that I bought pretty cheap of the local fleamarket because they were missing the top half, so, I inserted one rod inside the other with the reelseats facing each other.. then used the method explained by  UKChrist1

Donor reel penn 6/0
spooling ree  trini 16

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

MexicanGulf

Let me briefly summarize what I learned from this discussion:
1-Light layer of yamaha grease on the bottom of the coil;
2 - a round of electrician's tape;
3- I connect the Braid with a knot (?);
4 - I use a tension equal to the strike value to load the braid on the spool;
5 - load 100 yards of braid onto the spool for testing;

it's correct ?

Swami805

A layer of grease is good.
  Electrical tape will leave a sticky mess, find some stuff like athletic tape or the tape you get at the tackle store to protect your fingers.tape without glue that will stick to itself. There's also a few arbor knots that will hold without tape.
 Wind the line on at about 2/3 of drag a strike
Do what you can with that you have where you are

alantani

light coat of grease
couple of layers of flex wrap
4-5 wraps of line around the arbor.
6 turn uni knot
line tension set to 2/3rds of the drag at strike
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MexicanGulf

flex wrap. things? where can i buy it?

jzman

You get more and its a lot cheaper if you search/buy the "medical" or 3M brand name for it: Coban.  It can be bought on Amazon.  I'm pretty sure the tackle shops buy the flex tape in bulk, repackage, and mark it up.  When I forgot to bring one when I was in SD, I went to one of the Big 3 tackle shops and it was $7 for a roll, ouch.

MarkT

I think the finger tape was originally called vet wrap... used to wrap the ankles of horses. Cheaper at the tack/feed store too. If it's too wide for your use cut it narrower with a razor blade.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Keta

Quote from: MexicanGulf on May 02, 2023, 09:25:05 PMflex wrap. things? where can i buy it?

You can get "Vet Wrap" at a feed store or a Vet office  it is the same as Fex Wrap at a fraction of the price.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MexicanGulf

Quote from: alantani on April 23, 2023, 01:44:52 AMlight coat of grease
couple of layers of flex wrap
4-5 wraps of line around the arbor.
6 turn uni knot
line tension set to 2/3rds of the drag at strike
sorry Alan, I have 25lbs on the strike. so the force to be applied when rewinding the braid onto the reel must be equal to approximately 18 pounds? mathematics has never been my strong point.  :cfr

day0ne

Jerry Brown always said that 10 lbs of drag was enough for spooling.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

MexicanGulf

Hi, I mainly swordfish in 2000 feet of water. I have heard that for my fishing technique it is really unproductive to use Hollow Core, because this material tends to flatten and as the fishing depth increases it has a very negative impact on the sea current. It is true? This thing scares me.

jurelometer

A braid that would theoretically flatten out would tend to present the thinnest profile to the current and might actually be an advantage.  But  I doubt that hollow braid flattens out under tension when it is not being wrapped around a spool.  It should elongate more uniformly.

What will effect friction in the water is the the amount of material (by weight) per meter of line, and how compact vs. open the weave is.  The less material per meter, and the more compact, the less friction from the water along and across the line. 

The PE rating (when available) provides a number that describes the relative amount of material per meter. Since braid is not solid or round, it has no true diameter. The braid "diameter" we see listed is just a marketing claim for monofilament equivalent spool capacity. 

Solid braids tend to be more compact than hollow.

-J

boon

Quote from: MexicanGulf on November 13, 2023, 11:35:43 AMHi, I mainly swordfish in 2000 feet of water. I have heard that for my fishing technique it is really unproductive to use Hollow Core, because this material tends to flatten and as the fishing depth increases it has a very negative impact on the sea current. It is true? This thing scares me.

The best swordfish angler I know of exclusively uses hollowcore.