Spooling braid onto a reel

Started by alantani, December 09, 2022, 06:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jurelometer

Quote from: boon on November 13, 2023, 10:31:09 PM
Quote from: MexicanGulf on November 13, 2023, 11:35:43 AMHi, I mainly swordfish in 2000 feet of water. I have heard that for my fishing technique it is really unproductive to use Hollow Core, because this material tends to flatten and as the fishing depth increases it has a very negative impact on the sea current. It is true? This thing scares me.

The best swordfish angler I know of exclusively uses hollowcore.

Interesting.  I have a bunch of questions. Any answers would be appreciated.

Reasoning for using hollow?

How deep?

Line size, weight used?

-J

boon

Quote from: jurelometer on November 13, 2023, 10:38:38 PM
Quote from: boon on November 13, 2023, 10:31:09 PM
Quote from: MexicanGulf on November 13, 2023, 11:35:43 AMHi, I mainly swordfish in 2000 feet of water. I have heard that for my fishing technique it is really unproductive to use Hollow Core, because this material tends to flatten and as the fishing depth increases it has a very negative impact on the sea current. It is true? This thing scares me.

The best swordfish angler I know of exclusively uses hollowcore.

Interesting.  I have a bunch of questions. Any answers would be appreciated.

Reasoning for using hollow?

How deep?

Line size, weight used?

-J

For the knotless splice into the topshot.
Depth up to 2000ft. Mainline is either 80 or 100lb PowerPro Hollow, not certain. Weight... lots. 80oz+, but on a breakaway.

jurelometer

MexicanGulf

It seems like an interesting tool for spooling our reels.

"Itomaki Kojo IK500 ver.2"

alantani

oh, man, that was painful to watch.  these guys seem to have no clue.  spooling up larger reels with this device is done by hand.  imagine trying to spool 700 yards of line.  BY HAND!!!! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MexicanGulf

I found this method on Instagram. They connect a nylon baking. What do you think ?

Bill B

I assume a nylon ba king connected to a braid mainline.  I would say unnecessary.  To eliminate an extra knot put a couple wraps of flex tape on the arbor then tie your braid mainline. The flex tape prevents the braid from slipping on the arbor.  Also rub a light layer of grease on the spool to prevent corrosion.   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

MexicanGulf

I agree, in fact I was amazed when I saw the fishing shop doing this.  :D

boon

The Tiagras have a stud on the spool anyway so slipping is a non-issue. The only reasons I can think of for a very small amount of nylon backing is either for a degree of corrosion protection or "we've always done it that way".

MexicanGulf

Quote from: boon on April 10, 2024, 09:53:57 PMThe Tiagras have a stud on the spool anyway so slipping is a non-issue. The only reasons I can think of for a very small amount of nylon backing is either for a degree of corrosion protection or "we've always done it that way".

The last hypothesis seems the most realistic to me

steelfish

Quote from: MexicanGulf on April 10, 2024, 09:01:57 PMI found this method on Instagram. They connect a nylon baking. What do you think ?

I used that method since I started using braid as main line, that was many moons ago  ;D
I think half of my reels still have a trace of mono on the spool before the braid line and for the extra knot, I never ever saw that "extra" knot when fishing, I dont know if that bad or good thing because I was never spooled by a big fish on any of those reels.
The Baja Guy