Help with spools on Penn 430ss

Started by lordkeiichi, December 11, 2022, 06:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lordkeiichi

Hello,
   Not sure if this is the right spot for this question. I have two Penn 430ss and both seem to suffer from the spool rubbing or bottoming out. For the life of me I can't figure out what might be causing this or what needs to be adjusted or replaced. Any help would be appreciated.

Squidder Bidder

Did you leave out the rear drag washer (part #60)?

handi2

The key number 60 on the schematic is the white nylon thrust washer. Try replacing it. I have them if needed.

The only other thing is replacing the crosswind arm.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

funhog

I had the same problem. the spool is pressed on the knurled shaft and its slipping down slightly when you tighten the drag adjustment. The knurling on the shaft was ok, but the bite to the aluminum spool had diminished. I gently pried/pressed the spool off the shat and re-set it so that it cleared the reel base and didn't bottom out when winding in line. MARK that spot on the shaft and then take it apart again. Apply a THIN coat of JB Weld the the knurling on the shaft and the spool hole. Reset the spool to the depth mark you put on the spool, clean away all the excess JB Weld and let it set for a day. This fixed my reel and Ive had no issues with it the last 4yrs. I hope it works for yours. I believe mine is an 80 or 90s vintage Penn 550SS
I would check but I'm out of town .

handi2

The 430ss is totally different than the 550ss.

Not even close

The 430ss has a quick release spool.
Gulf Breeze, FL

Midway Tommy

Make sure your spool release spindle in clean inside and out and is working correctly and double check that the Teflon washer between the spindle spool is there and if it is that it hasn't compressed. There's not a whole lot else that can cause the quick release spool to bottom out as long as the pinion is in all the way and the rotor nut is tight.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

lordkeiichi

Thanks for all the replies. When I get a second I am going to tear these guys back apart again and double check everything. If my memory is right the #60 washers were there but they maybe wore out. Both of these were estate finds and in pretty rough shape when I got them. I am just glad to have found a place with friendly people who are into keeping the old fishing reels alive as much as I am.  ;D  ;D

handi2

If it is worn you will need to measure the thickness. I do have the new one but can also make them in different thicknesses using Delrin material.
Gulf Breeze, FL