Ugly Stik Lite Reel Seat

Started by jgp12000, December 13, 2022, 12:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

I have an Ugly Stik Lite 5'0 rod and the reel seat nut has cracked,can it be replaced?

thorhammer

Not without pulling off rear handle, unfortunately. You also want to check what seat that is to make sure you match up a replacement nut- the old ones had Fuji, but I don't think that's what they use now. If you get into it, I may have some 4" cork and could send a pair, gratis; you'd just have split grip.

John

jgp12000

John,
This is an older US,I have replaced cork on other rods but never any reel seat parts.Are there any markings on seats identifying them as what to order or do you just measure the diameter and thread pitch.I like the rod but don't wanna lose a good reel over it.I believe it is a Fugi seat the older US also had inserts in the eyelets, I believe now they do not.
JP

philaroman

short FW 1-pc & you're happy w/ guides & handle -- correct?

I'd just toss the nut & attach w/ tape; cork tape over that
(more comfortable than bare thread & easy-grip nut)

for ease of service & options, pick a reel where foot detaches 
AND fits consecutive model-sizes that are rod-appropriate

thorhammer

JP, not sure as I have seen where to order separate rings, even if you determine the correct one. I can check and see if I have anything- on occasion I've replaced a seat where the forward hood spilt but kept the rings afterward (maybe, lol). I'll look. Whatever I have I'll send you to try.

Barring that, are you comfortable removing and replacing the seat? I'd do it on mine; I caught a jillion Spanish and blues on it plugging Gotchas. That's what my first Spinfisher sat on- 4500SS. Still have it.

If you can get ahold of a dremel with cutting wheel just take your time and slowly cut a slice the length of seat, then pop it off with a big flathead screwdriver.

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

oldmanjoe

I would run the nut down so i can close up the crack with some tape .  Ca the crack with little spot welds  . After that wrap the nut with thread and finish it like it was a guide wrap !    It will handle anything that in your pond !
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

jgp12000

I mounted another modern reel on it and put some heat shrink grip on it so it wont fall off.

Cor

I would use a hose clamp as well as a temporary measure, that should keep your reel in place just fine.

If you like the rod then I would proceed to remove the reelseat and replace it or only the nut if you can find one to fit.
Cornelis

jgp12000

Its a dock queen now just dont wamna risk losing a vintage reel on it.I put floats on my old combos.I have had a few modern combos drug off the dock before,not in rod holders.I had a big bowfin pull one over a chair the rod was flying through the air horirontal fer a while.I retrieved it lesson learned.

dlrider

Wrap it with wire?  Onto the screw threads. Then cover with the shrink wrap.  Your chosen reel won't fall off.. probably.

jgp12000

I decided to go for it,it's cold out and I have never gone into a rod this far before.The reel seat appears to be 7" long,19mm in diameter.The rod is 10mm at the seat.I haven't got the end cap off yet,I assume dremel is the next step.I wouldn't mind replacing the seat with a metal one if available.This is a $40 rod 15 years old though,so I don't wanna break the bank.Yet,don't want to do it again...Rod gurus just tell me what/where to order? Assuming I have to align the reel seat up with the eyelets,I will YouTube until I get further guidance.

jgp12000

It appears to be a fugi size 16 reel seat.

thorhammer

JP, how about ordering a 16 Fuji from Mudhole or Anglers workshop and using the new nut on the existing seat? That keeps from extra work. IMO, a billet aluminum seat is too heavy for that rod, let alone chromed brass. I can check to see if I have a pair of corks and you'd have a new split grip handle. Sand down the butt and rattle-can it black, or cord wrap if you wish, but that adds weight. I prolly have a butt cap too.

Also, Mudhole has a lot of seats, guides and other things on clearance, which I saw this morning. An American Tackle or Pac Bay will suffice just fine there, and I'd check to make sure it has a stainless ring on the nut for hoop strength. The shipping will cost more than the seat on this...

Lemme know if you want the bits (NC of course) and I'll get them out tomorrow.

John