General Fishing Question- Jigging reels

Started by TC24, May 13, 2014, 03:03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TC24

So whats the major difference between a generic ole' fishing reels and a jigging series? I am looking at purchasing a new reel (specifically a curado) and don't understand the main difference. Would casting and fishing fresh water muskies.

mandaragat

Generally:

1. Low gear ratio (line retrieve in the 30s per handle turn)
2. Narrow spool
3. May not have clicker
4. Topless
5. High drag of over 30s
6. More $$$$

These are the features you will find in a Jigging dedicated reel but what you're looking at, the Curado E, is for light jigging/casting just right for what you have in mind.

johndtuttle

I dunno about a Curado but other jigging reels (as above) are specialized for "bottom" fishing rather than "surface" lure presentation.

This sometimes includes features allowing the spool to be locked so that breaking off becomes easier and less stressful for the reel in addition to lower gear ratios for moving the heavier lures used to get deep.

philaroman

Curado for muskies?  I dunno' about that...  300-size might be OK, but Calcutta may be a more appropriate Shimano model & you may even want to bump it up to 400-size for bigger fish & heavier lures

TC24

Yeah I have a tough time finding left handed reels for musky fishing. Curados work fine for musky fishing depending on the type of lure. They seem to hold up compared to other reels. I have plenty of other reels for different applications. I am more interested in the difference in jigging reels and standard ones.

philaroman

If you like Shimano, the new Calcutta offers bigger L/H models:
301D -- if you want more speed
401D -- if you want more power & more line
going by specs, either one seems like a better Musky reel than Curado, but I could understand opting for 301E if you really want low-profile "palmable"  ...smaller Curado are Bass reels -- I'm sure they work fine w/ lighter lures, but may not have enough line or drag for that rare trophy specimen.

as far as I can tell, jigging reels are not intended for long-distance casting (though some may cast well enough).  otherwise, they'd be great for musky -- strong, durable, w/ high drag & line capacity