DAM QUICK Finessa drag question

Started by Bora, December 18, 2022, 04:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bora

Hello all,

I am working today for the first time on an old Finessa. It had a bale issue which I think I've managed to sort out. Having taken apart the drag for cleaning next, I have a question about that which hopefully someone can shed some light on.

Attached below is what I found, just one washer found in the sequence indicated in the photo, between the spool spindle [which is capped with a washer itself] and the red drag nut/cap.

Is this assembly complete, or are other washers/parts missing here? I have the suspicion that something is missing but could be wrong. I've consulted schematics for the 330, as I've read they are similar to this non-numbered version of the Finessa. The 330 schematic indicates presence of several other drag components, which are lacking here. And I have not seen a schematic for this specific model anywhere, unfortunately.

Any thoughts? I didn't manage to find an answer in other threads, sorry if it's been addressed already and I missed it.

Thanks!

Bora

Jim Fujitani

Just wait for Fred Foakes to reply.  He is the resident DQ Guru! And yes, more than just DQ but DQ is his specialty.

foakes

Hi Bora —-

There are at least (4) versions of 280/285 Finessas in the 330 size class.  And some of the spools will interchange —- and some will not.

You have an older version whic( does not have the push-button spool release.  And some of these older ones did have only (1) metal washer for a drag.

In subsequent versions —- a tough resistex drag washer was also added.

The 285's had multiple drags.

Yours is an early 2-piece spool.

Tomorrow, I can take a couple apart and report back to you.

And if anything else would work —- I do have any parts needed.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Your Finessa spool looks close to this early 50's one from a 250 Standard. Same single washer in the middle. In the picture you'll see 2- friction washers, that, if I remember right, I added. The little one goes underneath the bronze washer and the bigger one goes on the removable-bottom spool flange on the click gear side. See what Fred says, but I think yours is right, Bora! Welcome to the Site!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Bora

Quote from: Gfish on December 19, 2022, 04:33:35 AMYour Finessa spool looks close to this early 50's one from a 250 Standard. Same single washer in the middle. In the picture you'll see 2- friction washers, that, if I remember right, I added. The little one goes underneath the bronze washer and the bigger one goes on the removable-bottom spool flange on the click gear side. See what Fred says, but I think yours is right, Bora! Welcome to the Site!

Thank you for the warm welcomes. And it's terrific to have that insight - it does seem intuitive to me to have added those extra washers. 

I always like discovering how the DNA from other models gets carried over / evolves over time, so this is very valuable information! And great to have a better sense of the age of the reel, too.

All best,

Bora

Bora

Quote from: foakes on December 19, 2022, 02:51:40 AMHi Bora —-

There are at least (4) versions of 280/285 Finessas in the 330 size class.  And some of the spools will interchange —- and some will not.

You have an older version whic( does not have the push-button spool release.  And some of these older ones did have only (1) metal washer for a drag.

In subsequent versions —- a tough resistex drag washer was also added.

The 285's had multiple drags.

Yours is an early 2-piece spool.

Tomorrow, I can take a couple apart and report back to you.

And if anything else would work —- I do have any parts needed.

Best, Fred

Hello Fred,

Thank you very much for your response on this. Really nice to be aware of the design context of this series of reels, and where this one fits in.

If/when you have the time to look into this some more, it would be greatly appreciated. If all components are there as is, great. If not, and if there is an opportunity to make the reel complete again or improve it, I am definitely up for doing that.

Would love to take it out trout fishing next spring.

All best,

Bora

foakes

You're fine as is with the one metal drag washer, Bora —-

Took a couple like yours apart a few minutes ago —- and there is only (1) metal washer.

Not counting the spare new old stock parts for these —-

I possibly have 50-60 various complete Finessas in 3 bins.

Plus another 40 or 50 330's in 3 other bins.

Lots of variations on these —-  and all are effective and tough.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bora

Quote from: foakes on December 19, 2022, 05:47:02 PMYou're fine as is with the one metal drag washer, Bora —-

Took a couple like yours apart a few minutes ago —- and there is only (1) metal washer.

Best, Fred

Hi Fred,

Thank you very much for taking the time to confirm that - very much appreciated!

And that is quite a collection there, really impressive. That's a tremendous resource, great to know.

I noticed in one of the photos some of the 1000 series. What are your impressions of them? I'd like to get my hands eventually on a smaller size DAM Quick for some stream fishing. My dad has a couple more old models that I'm yet to open up, although all are between 3000-5000+ size equivalent.

Thanks again,

Bora

foakes

Quote from: Bora on December 19, 2022, 08:07:55 PM
Quote from: foakes on December 19, 2022, 05:47:02 PMYou're fine as is with the one metal drag washer, Bora —-

Best, Fred
I noticed in one of the photos some of the 1000 series. What are your impressions of them? I'd like to get my hands eventually on a smaller size DAM Quick for some stream fishing.

Thanks again,

Bora

Most of the DQ's are of superior quality.

The 1000/1001 are above that level.

All metal, skirted aluminum spool, all of the best components, no shortcuts.

6.9 ounces of multi-generational quality.

I always have one with me when fishing.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Catching Nemo

My Finessa also has just the single metal washer.

Bora

@CatchingNemo - Thanks for the confirmation. And still interesting difference we have in the spool backing, cork on one hand and rubber on the other. In both cases the attention to detail on these reels has really impressed me. And I guess I should get over the massive [and probably redundant] drag stacks in modern reels...

@Fred - thank you for your valuable insights, sounds like a very impressive little reel.

Gfish

JMO. But I like the big multi disc drag systems found in spinning reels with the skirted spool rotors. More metal and fiber washers = more smoothness and fine tuning control. Yeah, they do add complexity, expense and extra weight. Also, I've found-out the hard way that an unsealed drag knob(either made that way, or damaged)can lead to spool corrosion from water leakage down inside those deep skirted spools.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

Quote from: Gfish on December 21, 2022, 04:43:01 PMJMO. But I like the big multi disc drag systems found in spinning reels with the skirted spool rotors. More metal and fiber washers = more smoothness and fine tuning control. Yeah, they do add complexity, expense and extra weight. Also, I've found-out the hard way that an unsealed drag knob(either made that way, or damaged)can lead to spool corrosion from water leakage down inside those deep skirted spools.

I agree with Greg on the drags.  Particularly the skirted spool aluminum spooled ones with a LARGE drag top & under-spool.

However, these earlier models with catch fish very effectively —- and are nothing to sneeze at.

Both systems are reliable, capable, strong, and effective.

There is, IMO, a lot of satisfaction in fishing and landing large fish with these older, original reels —- that are as good today as they were 60 years ago.

There are only a handful of reel brands in the world that will weather the test of decades —- and after restoring like Bora is doing —- just keep working effectively for decades to come.

DAM Quick is one of these few brands.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Bora

Quote from: Gfish on December 21, 2022, 04:43:01 PMJMO. But I like the big multi disc drag systems found in spinning reels with the skirted spool rotors. More metal and fiber washers = more smoothness and fine tuning control. Yeah, they do add complexity, expense and extra weight. Also, I've found-out the hard way that an unsealed drag knob(either made that way, or damaged)can lead to spool corrosion from water leakage down inside those deep skirted spools.

That is a good point. And I discovered precisely that kind of corrosion on the last reel I was working on...

Bora

Quote from: foakes on December 21, 2022, 04:55:27 PM

I agree with Greg on the drags.  Particularly the skirted spool aluminum spooled ones with a LARGE drag top & under-spool.

However, these earlier models with catch fish very effectively —- and are nothing to sneeze at.

Both systems are reliable, capable, strong, and effective.

There is, IMO, a lot of satisfaction in fishing and landing large fish with these older, original reels —- that are as good today as they were 60 years ago.

There are only a handful of reel brands in the world that will weather the test of decades —- and after restoring like Bora is doing —- just keep working effectively for decades to come.

DAM Quick is one of these few brands.

Best, Fred

Yes, there is something to be said about that. I really find this satisfying, especially these days when consumer items in general are all about "better, faster, lighter" but not necessarily "longer"...

My big passion before reels was [and still is] watchmaking. And I have the same sentiments towards watches from the 50s and 60s that still do fine job telling the time, despite different designs. Lots of similarities with reels, but I'm happy about one major difference: I don't have to wear a 20x magnifying glass to see what I'm actually doing with reels :)