Penn GS555 vs Daiwa Sealine-x 50sha

Started by tacoma09, February 16, 2012, 10:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tacoma09

Which of the two reel is better overall?   ???

I looking more towards the penn  b/c of the better drag setup.  What is everyones take on these reels for small game.

Mark

alantani

pretty much a toss up.  just change out the drags in the daiwa to carbon fiber, then grease either one. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

reelynuts

I have no experience with the Penn GS555. I am a big "Penn guy", and I do believe that often the materials that they use in their reels is superior over the overseas brands. I notice things like the hardness of the metals used in their anti-reverse dogs, and the fact that the ball bearings in many of their old reels with ball bearings still perform after many years of rinsing with freshwater as many people say should not be done. Etc., Etc., Etc..

Now, on the other hand, I do own and use the Diawa X50sha. In fact, I liked it so much after I used it that I bought a second one. Mine have both been dis-assembled and re-assembled with extra grease, and I must admit that I was impressed with the inner workings of the reel. Nice big drag washers (I have not yet installed greased carbon fiber washers, but I will-eventually) and the "SEALED" main gear/drag washer chamber (however you want to label it) seemed well thought out, simple, logical, and effective. I really like this feature. I often wonder if Diawa did this because they knew that oil or water would contaminate the drag washers (as Alan always discusses) leading to the "jerky" drag problem, and I wonder if they have reason to believe that sealing them is a cure. Could they be right? ???

I have not owned or used these Diawas long enough to offer an opinion based on actual experience, and can only say that for performance- so far-so good.
Based on the schematics, the 555 and the x50sha seem to be fairly comparable, and I for one like the fact that neither have an Instant anti-reverse bearing. To me the click of the dog is music to my ears. Yes, I'm a "Dog Lover"
I like the look of the Diawa better, but who cares I guess.

My guess is that if I had one of each reel, after 20 or so years of similar/same usage, that I would lean toward the Penn as being more reliable. Penn parts are also readily available almost anywhere, I don't think I could say the same for Diawa, but I'll admit that I could be wrong on that.

So, for me even, its a bit of a toss-up. Perhaps the last remaining factor that may sway my opinion would be that if you could find a Penn 555 that was made in the USA, that's the reel I would buy (for the sake of supporting our countries economy). I see them in some tackle shops that I have recently been to, but don't know if they are new-old stock, or if they are still made here. I have heard that Penn has (disappointingly) begun to make all reels under the $250.00 price point in China.

I agree with Alan about the toss up, and by the time you install the greased carbon fiber drag washers (depending on if you pay someone or do it yourself) the Diawa is cheaper (I think) to purchase initially, but if you must pay someone to do the upgrade, it will probably put you over the price of the Penn. Then again if someone needs to grease the 555's washers, the 555 is now the big dollar reel. That's all up to you.

Another "last note" before I get to the next "last note" is the reels size. Knowing what I know now, I wish that I had bought the x40 over the x50. Line capacity is not critical for my types of fishing, and the 40 is Identical to the 50 in every aspect except for the width of the spool and body/frame. As Alan had mentioned in another post, I too prefer the "Boxed Out" shape of a reel meaning that the reel is as tall as it is wide. The 50 is a bit wide and the torque of turning the handle under a load equates to twisting or torquing of the handle of the rod, demanding a real firm grip on the rod as you reel.

For my last "last note" :-[, I kind of like the handle on the Diawa better than the Penn. You can sort of wrap your hand around it and lean on it with the palm of your hand, where the Penn handle feels like it is held between the tips of your fingers offering a little less grip, but that's just me.

Looking back on what I have just written, I see that I have probably added to your indecision, and I managed to second guess myself. I do like the Diawa a lot, but I'll bet that like I said earlier, that in 20 years I would probably be loving the Penn. So again I apologize for adding confusion with regards to my personal preference, but I did want to point out some features that the X50 has, and whichever you choose, I won't be disappointed ;D. Talk to your dealer. Ask if he has/can get parts. Which are cheaper, which are more readily available, which reels does he see in for repair more often. Use this information to help you to make your decision. I don't think you'll be upset either way. Good Luck!