Suggestions for steelhead rod

Started by retiredandfishing, December 21, 2022, 08:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retiredandfishing

I'm going to make a couple of steelhead rods for myself.  I do repairs and build poles but to this point have only done salmon and tuna rods. I'm looking for suggestions on making a casting rod for back bouncing for steelhead and a rod for bobber fishing.

I prefer a longer rod 9.5 to 10.5 ft.  Action on the casting rod should be medium to fast and on the bobber rod medium.  I have used quite a few Rainshadow blanks in the past but as I look at their offerings I don't see quite what I'd like.  Any suggestions on handles, grips, blanks and guides would be a great help from you experienced steelhead fishermen.

Thanks, Steve

Hardy Boy

What about the Rain shadow 10.5 foot 1262 and 1264. They would be nice West Coast style float rods. We use them for mooching rods and they are nice.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Keta

Look at Lamiglas.  It's been over 20 years since I have but they should have several blanks that fit your needs.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

philaroman

check Lami Clearance, OFTEN -- good stuff goes FAST!!!
https://www.lamiglas.com/collections/fishing-rod-blank-specials?sort_by=price-ascending
https://www.lamiglas.com/collections/salmon-steelhead-rod-blanks?sort_by=price-ascending

no such thing as specialty rod for bobbers ::)  ...but plenty Float rods/blanks for floats :P
they tend to be longer (11' -- 14'); lighter (4-8#/6-10#/8-12# line); more moderate/parabolic
for a small conventional, consider wrapping the guides spiral (aka, acid)

Swami805

I was looking for similar blanks to use out here for surf fishing with tiny lures and baits using 4-8pb line. I found a seller on eBay,jrmxsick, who has a whole bunch of different models blanks very reasonable. I didn't know what to get so I ended up buying 5 which really cut down on shipping. Very nice blanks, super light and if they're seconds I couldn't tell. Worth a look anyway. I think they ended up about $40 each to my door just finished 2, one spinning and one casting, hope to try them this weekend
Do what you can with that you have where you are

retiredandfishing

Quote from: Hardy Boy on December 21, 2022, 09:31:49 PMWhat about the Rain shadow 10.5 foot 1262 and 1264. They would be nice West Coast style float rods. We use them for mooching rods and they are nice.

Cheers:

Todd

Those are nice.  I've built a couple of the 1264's.  But I am looking for something a little more sensitive yet with a faster action.  Here is one from Rainshadow that I am considering:

REVST100M-2SB   
Series : Revelation RX7
Item Length (in) : 10'
Rod Blank Color : Satin Black
Rod Blank Application : Medium Float Rod
Material : RX7 Graphite
Number of Pieces : 2
Action : Mod-Fast
Power : Medium
Line Rating (lbs.) : 10-17lb.
Lure Weight Rating (oz.) : 3/8-1oz.
Weight (oz.) : 3.8oz.
Butt Diameter : 0.571
Tip Top Size : 5.5

This would be my float rod if I want to go with Rainshadow.  I work with Rainshadow blanks whenever I can but wanted to see what others are using so as not to get locked into one manufacturer. Lami glass are good blanks too. I have not explored them yet but I think I will. 

Hardy Boy

That one right there looks about perfect. Nice to have all the rods matching ............... 8)

I have a couple of old fenwicks in the classic brown that I have owned for years that I use for float fishing.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

philaroman

IMO, those specs are appropriate for a Stalker Float Rod for Carp -- not, Steelhead
in gin-clear shallow water, you may need to go down to 6X tippet (below the float), just to get a bite
the low end of the line rating should be 4# or 6# -- not, 10#
the low end of the lure rating should be around 1/8 -- not, 3/8 oz.
(which might not work well w/ guides on top -- hence, the acid-wrap suggestion)

Hardy Boy

In the PNW we don't usually have small gin clear water here for steelhead. Time you have a float , some lead and your lure of choice that rod is perfect. We usually have go no lighter that 12 lb. for main line and leader although you can drop your leader down if need be.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

philaroman

Quote from: Hardy Boy on December 22, 2022, 07:31:54 PMIn the PNW we don't usually have small gin clear water here for steelhead. Time you have a float , some lead and your lure of choice that rod is perfect. We usually have go no lighter that 12 lb. for main line and leader although you can drop your leader down if need be.
Cheers:
Todd

so sorry -- was thinkin' Great Lake tribs
did not consider, "Location: Bay City, Oregon"

curious: does anyone favor the ole' 10'M 4-20# Howald Ugly
always wanted one, rebuilt w/ premium components
snoozed back in the day when they were $35 ::)
now, they're rare & 2-3X times more $$$  :'(

retiredandfishing

Quote from: philaroman on December 22, 2022, 09:59:21 PM
Quote from: Hardy Boy on December 22, 2022, 07:31:54 PMIn the PNW we don't usually have small gin clear water here for steelhead. Time you have a float , some lead and your lure of choice that rod is perfect. We usually have go no lighter that 12 lb. for main line and leader although you can drop your leader down if need be.
Cheers:
Todd

Thank you for the input.  Interesting to see what is used in other environments and area's.  Yes we don't get those small gin clear shallow waters here but not saying that couldn't happen, a lot of smaller steelhead rivers here could offer it if the conditions were right.

Looking at a couple of Lamiglass blanks for the casting/back bouncing rod.  I'll let you all know what looks good to me after the holidays. Thank you for the input and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all.

Steve

so sorry -- was thinkin' Great Lake tribs
did not consider, "Location: Bay City, Oregon"

curious: does anyone favor the ole' 10'M 4-20# Howald Ugly
always wanted one, rebuilt w/ premium components
snoozed back in the day when they were $35 ::)
now, they're rare & 2-3X times more $$$  :'(