Spray Bottles and Degreaser Chemicals

Started by franky, February 17, 2012, 01:49:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

franky

I've been using simple green or degreaser chemicals to clean out the old cruddy oil and grease from reels with great success.

My problem is when I put the chemical into a spray bottle.  At first the spray bottle is great.  After a few months, however, the spray nozzle always seems to fail.  It seems that the chemical will degrade the o-ring in the nozzle or something and the pump will not work anymore.  This also happens when you put clorox bleech into spray bottles.

Lots of guys had mentioned that white vinegar is excellent for breaking down and cleaning out old grease crud and oil.  Will this be a better solution to put into a spray bottle without affecting the nozzle?

broadway

Franky,
    White vinegar works on corrosion only... it's not a good degreaser at all.  You need to soak the part you want to remove the corrosion from in it, not spray it on it.  Check out... specialtybottle.com.  I have 91% alcohol in their spray bottles for over two years and no failures.  I have simple green on the boat in their bottles and again no probs.
Dom

franky

Thanks Dom,

I'll check out the spray bottles.

coastalobsession

I bought a bulk supply of Simple Green. It came with a squirt bottle, i have not had any problems with it so far.... :-\
Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning

Panama

I use a spray bottle from a cleaning supply store.  It was cheap and I have not had an issue. 

Anthony
Get on the water, Man!!!

franky

I've used the spray bottles from Costco and Home Depot.  Again...good in the beginning, but after a few months  :(.

I noticed that for regular fluids (windex, water, soap water, etc.) its okay.  But for clorox bleech, simple green, and other degreasers  :(

I got several bottles, they all seem to last, but the spray nozzles are useless.

Right now, I'm trying an expensive gray spray bottle that Home Depot has...we'll see.  I wrote down the purchase date to keep track of how long it takes to fail.  They say it has a 3 or 5 year warranty.  Again, we'll see....

kamuwela

oil eater works great and comes in a spray bottle. costco sells it packaged in a gallon and a quart sprayer.

franky