VISX 16 - just because you can do something...

Started by alantani, December 23, 2022, 04:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

says kyle, "i just bought a new penn visx 16!"

says me, "very nice!"

says kyle, "i want you to set it up for 100 pound."

says me, "um, yeah.  maybe.  um, not really.  it's more of an 80 pound reel."

says kyle, "let's try it anyway."

300 yards of 100 pound jerry brown hollow patriot.

as requested, a 100 yard topshot of 100 pound mono.

setting the drag to 40 pounds at full gave me a 30 pound drag setting at the number 1 position.  no bueno.

out comes the cam.  it was ground down to a 3.5 degree angle.  here is the result.

and done!

still not a good idea.  just because you can do something, it doesn't mean that you should. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Brendan

Keta

Redlining anything reduces it's life span.  A good friend of mine told me my 16 VISX is a 80# reel and he set mine up that way for me.  I trust my good friend.... :0) 

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

If I wrote 2+2 = 4 —- in yellow chalk on a chalkboard.

Then, right underneath it I wrote 2+2 = 5.

Knowing which is true and which is false —- I wouldn't give the 2+2 = 5, a second of thought —- it is a non-starter.

2+2 = 4 —- is a mathematical certainty based on proven principles and the authority of truth.

When Alan sez something, to me, he is the authority —- and I don't waste any time looking for anything better than his answer.

Wayne just posted where a guy caught a large bonefish on a Compac Spinning reel.  Yes, anything can be accomplished...

However, if we want our equipment to hold up for decades, be capable fishers, and remain virtually wear-free —- the right setup for the reel is key, IMO.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

well, in all fairness to kyle (that really is his name!) the reel should hold up under those pressures.  i do have to admit that i did not know that the reel would achieve those drag pressures.  it was quite a surprise.  as long as the limited line capacity doesn't catch up with him, he should do fine! ;D

CooldadE

Quote from: alantani on December 23, 2022, 04:32:47 PMsays kyle, "i just bought a new penn visx 16!"

says me, "very nice!"

says kyle, "i want you to set it up for 100 pound."

says me, "um, yeah.  maybe.  um, not really.  it's more of an 80 pound reel."

says kyle, "let's try it anyway."

300 yards of 100 pound jerry brown hollow patriot.

as requested, a 100 yard topshot of 100 pound mono.

setting the drag to 40 pounds at full gave me a 30 pound drag setting at the number 1 position.  no bueno.

out comes the cam.  it was ground down to a 3.5 degree angle.  here is the result.

and done!

still not a good idea.  just because you can do something, it doesn't mean that you should. 
That's exactly how I want my new VISX16 setup...

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

alantani

Here's a 30 visx. Better this way!

alantani

700 yards of 100 pound Jerry Brown hollow,  a 25 yard topshot of 100 pound mono, 30 pounds of drag at strike and 50 pounds at full.

MarkT

The 30 is looking muy bueno. The 16 with 100 yds of mono over 300 yds of spectra is WTF!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

CooldadE

Quote from: MarkT on December 24, 2022, 03:04:01 AMThe 30 is looking muy bueno. The 16 with 100 yds of mono over 300 yds of spectra is WTF!
WTF ? Can you expand on that ?
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Brendan

Love you Fred but lasting decades is a non issue at this point 🤣

Benni3

Great job alan,,,, ;) and thank you again for doing my 20,,,,, ;D

UKChris1

I think WTF is best interpreted as 'Waiting to fail' in these circumstances  ;)

Dozer217

So if I want the same spec's for my VISX 16 fishing either 80-100, would you do it and how do I get it to you?