Vintage blue 722. Pinion bearing removal

Started by Fishgolfman, December 26, 2022, 02:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishgolfman

A lot to learn about old models.. Not newer Z. 720 had bushings while 722 had bearing.right??? My observations without schematics. My bearing is stuck in 722. Suggestions on pulling it out as i need to access main gear that looks cracked and anti reverse is sticking. Thanks

handi2

There is a small ring clip to be removed first then the bearing.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

Quote from: handi2 on December 26, 2022, 06:23:56 PMThere is a small ring clip to be removed first then the bearing.

Here is what Keith is talking about —-

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Fishgolfman

I did using a fishing hook to remove clip. I used liquid wrench soaked two days, still no go! Found a post on using washers on pulling  pinion gear but body and gear were flush. 722 body have a post. See pic 1.  An idea came to mind. I found old thick teflon washer cut it around post, built it up and used pressure of wedging slowly screw drivers. Voilà removed!! Repeated on three other stuck bearings as well. Wanted to share.DB9952ED-737A-42ED-8D20-352C31A926AA.jpeg1CFCD527-B078-43F3-BDB2-1FD22BF28E3E.jpegC799673F-2354-4E7B-8EB6-A92D7C1900FD.jpeg   

foakes

Good job! —- Thanks for showing us.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.