SOA 3 Day Bluefin Trip, July 3-6, 2023

Started by alantani, January 04, 2023, 11:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamachi

Quote from: Porthos on June 24, 2023, 02:37:40 PMWarren,

Did you go with Mario's again?
No Mario's this time. Easy to text Fishermans processing for reservations. They're the best.

Edit: I may go with Mario's again this time around as I have just been informed by Fishermans processing I am not guaranteed same day service.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jtwill98

Very nice videos and from the looks of them, ya'll had a good time.  Cheers.

pjstevko

Prepping gear and clothes today! I'll be traveling down on Sunday and plan to be at the Sea Harbor hotel by mid afternoon.  I'll be making my usual stop at Bob Sands if anyone needs anything just let me know. 

So else is getting in on Sunday afternoon?

See you all soon

Pj

alantani

i'll be there.  plan on dinner at miguel's, 5pm!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

pjstevko

pjstevko

Got my rods, reels, and tackle bags ready today. I'll be bringing 8 setups with me...

30# bait: Fathom 15ld2 w/40# braid, PCH 801h
40# bait: Mak 10SEa w/50# braid, UC 8' Monster (setup can handle 50/60# too)
40# jig: Gold Trinidad 16 w/ 40# braid to short 40# mono, Calstar 9' 90j
60/80# sinker rig: Speedmaster 16 w/80# braid & 80 topshot, UC 8' Predator
80# daytime jig: Fathom 40nld2 w/80# braid & 80 topshot, PCH 741xxh
80# jig: Mak 16SEa w/ 80# braid & 80# topshot, PCH 741xxh
100# jig: Mak 20SEA w/ 100# hollow braid & 100# topshot,UC RCX 76 Viper (new setup for this year, both bought used)
Trolling: Tib/Accuplate 6/0 w/ 50# mono, Fenwick all glass roller

Now I just hope Alan assigns me spots where these will all fit!

Brewcrafter

Yesterday was yesterday, today is today and tomorrow who knows, so take this with a healthy dose of sodium, as we wrapped up my RP 8 day last week.  You might find this helpful or at least a starting point, who knows.  We spent Weds and Thursday targeting bluefin.  In no particular order:
There were two "areas" of bluefin - one outside of San Clemente (that a lot of boats were targeting) and one down off of Ensenada/Rosarita about 35 miles from Point Loma that the long rangers were targeting (too far to go up to Clemente).
All of our fish were night fish.  Every one of them was caught on either a heavy jig or an Eddy Bomb, and all of the schools we ran across were from 240'-300' (Needless to say, metered or marked line is extremely beneficial).  Some hit on the sink, some hit on the wind.  Everything that boated was in the 80-100# class.  The success rate was good, but for the most part everyone was adequately armed as I am sure you all will be.  On the daylight schools, we were "Oh for Oh".  Good luck everyone go get 'em! - john

pjstevko

Making a few extra jig leaders!

CI_Seawolf

Hope you guys get into them.  Mick and I will need intel for our trip on the Vagabond that leaves on the following Sunday, 7/9.   Good luck and fair seas!
Stay Classy!

stoked4fishin

I'm driving down Sunday as well.  I'm staying at the Sea Harbor in as well.  Not sure what tackle shops I'll hit along the way!  See you at Miguel's!

pjstevko

CI_Seawolf

PJ, Capt. Evan was using a jigging rod last trip.  Could you get me the model/ mfr of it and the reel he was using?  I think the reel was some kind of Avet Raptor.
Stay Classy!

pjstevko

Quote from: CI_Seawolf on July 01, 2023, 10:44:14 PMPJ, Capt. Evan was using a jigging rod last trip.  Could you get me the model/ mfr of it and the reel he was using?  I think the reel was some kind of Avet Raptor.

I'll try to remember for ya

stoked4fishin

Jig Jiggity!  I can't wait to get on the road tomorrow morning!