serving your windons

Started by Jawbreaker, February 18, 2012, 03:38:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jawbreaker

I originally learned to serve my windons by using waxed floss or waxed spectra with continuous half hitches.  I thought they were pretty slick (for me anyway).  However, after seeing Alans (pic. from Spirit of Adventure trip) I really need to up my game. So i purchased a Beiter winder and am ready to go, but...some questions.
How do you bury the initial tag and do you guys wind down once or do you double the line (down and then back over initial lay) ?
Also, do you place wax over the threads or a little low viscosity super glue?
Thanks for any help.

alantani

the heavy winder is nice.  using the white spectra to do the wraps, you can actually see them go "clear" when you squeeze down on the knot. 

so i start with a nail knot with about 10 wraps, then i pull down on the tag end and keep going.  once i get to the end of the spectra, i turn back and go over the original nail knot and i do a second nail knot behind the first.  also, i don't use glue.  just not a believer in it. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Jawbreaker

Thanks Alan, that sounds petty straight forward.  Another front coming through south Texas manana, so it looks like I'll get some practice.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!