daiwa Seagate 50H

Started by tacoma09, February 18, 2012, 06:53:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tacoma09

I know that this is a very fairly new, but I just want everyone's reviews and opinions about this reel.

My take on this at first is it has carbon fiber washers and a very high gear ratio 6.4:1.  Looks solidly built with a bit more weight than the sealine. ;D

tacoma09

Alan, do you have any input for this reel?  I was debating between sealine and gs555. What do you think?

alantani

saw the link to charkbait.  http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csrd.htm  and here is the schematic from daiwa.  http://daiwa.com/PartsDiagram/PartsDiagram/SGT20H-30H.pdf  

it appears to be a graphite torium.  nice enough reel.  it will have greased carbon fiber drag washers already.  someday we will have to figure out a way to upgrade this reel to a clicking drag.  until then, it gets a thumbs down.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

pepperist

if you have no problem with daiwa's saltist conventional reel series, i think you will like this reel. the seagate just looks like a graphite version. i know alan dislikes the anti-reverse mechanism in them, but i own a saltist and it's been nothing short of great for my purposes (chunking from the surf)...awesome casting, smooth retrieve, smooth drag.

btw, alan, what exactly is the issue with the saltist/seagate's anti-reverse? i've read your posts about the reel going "knuckle-buster" on you, but how exactly is a clicking anti-reverse less prone to it? don't mean to hijack the thread, the question just seems kind of related...

redsetta

G'day pepperist,
Both Ambassadeur-style silent dogs and anti-reverse bearings are prone to failure.
A sprung dog, on the other hand, is generally far more reliable.
Double sprung dogs are basically a best-case scenario in terms of design...
Hope that's of some assistance.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

pepperist

just looking at a sprung dog versus the mechanism in a seagate/saltist, i dont see how it's more 'reliable'. the spring simply acts to click the dog into place behind one of the teeth of the anti-reverse ratchet, no? the dogs on seagates/saltists are positioned so that if the drive shaft spins in the wrong direction, they will 'catch' in the same way that the sprung dogs do.

im probably not understanding something about how the anti-reverse functions....but like i said, i dont understand how a sprung dog is any better than one that is not.  :-\

Irish Jigger

I have experienced failure of an anti reverse bearing on a Trinidad when the Abu style dog did not fully engage the way a spring loaded dog would. Quite an unnerving experience I may add and one that is difficult to comprehend until one actually experiences it.

I can understand how some anglers get their knuckles rapped when this happens. >:(

CapeFish

Quote from: pepperist on February 21, 2012, 04:51:00 PM
just looking at a sprung dog versus the mechanism in a seagate/saltist, i dont see how it's more 'reliable'. the spring simply acts to click the dog into place behind one of the teeth of the anti-reverse ratchet, no? the dogs on seagates/saltists are positioned so that if the drive shaft spins in the wrong direction, they will 'catch' in the same way that the sprung dogs do.

im probably not understanding something about how the anti-reverse functions....but like i said, i dont understand how a sprung dog is any better than one that is not.  :-\

The problem with that silent anti-reverse is that it does not always latch into place where as a spring loaded anti-reverse dog is pretty much fool proof. It especially happens if the reel gets gunged up with corrosion and old grease, then it gets sticky and if the drag snatches and the anti reverse bearing fails and the silent dog doesn't catch, you have problems. Less chances of this happening if you have smooth carbon fibre drag but it can't be ruled out. Granted, the chances of it happening are not that great if you maintain your reels well, but you have to keep an eye on the dog as it often gets damaged because the anti-reverse rachet slams in to it when it is not 100% into position, again this won't happen with a spring loaded dog.

pepperist

ah, i see, that makes sense. thanks for the clarification, capefish.

The Pond King

Sorry, I know this is an old thread, but I'm thinking of buying either a Daiwa X-SHA or a Seagate. I was wondering if the X-SHA also lacks the spring loaded anti reverse dog??? because that would be the determining factor of which reel I would choose to buy.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Daiwa Sealine series, but they've been around; the Seagate on the other hand, is a relatively new model that's been released... I like stuff that's newer (don't we all?).

Nessie Hunter

http://www.daiwa.com/PartsDiagram/PartsDiagram/SL-X40HV-50HV.pdf

Notice parts Numbered #28 & #29   Spring loaded A/R Pawl...

Of course that means it will make a clicking noise when reeling..
I prefer the 'Silent' pressure pawl (ambassador type) myself, but keep them in good working order...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!