bushing to bearing project

Started by reelynew, January 11, 2023, 03:54:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reelynew

Hey All,

I have seen a few tear down videos where someone will mention that when a bushing wears you can replace it with a ball bearing, though I haven't see it done yet.  I am interested in doing such an upgrade.  The reel is an older Daiwa 250x, which has more nostalgia for my wife, but for me, this is more about an education.  I have attached a photo of the pinion gear I am looking to place a bearing around.  From the photo attached, could this be done by replacing BOTH the pinion collar and the shaft metal with a single ball bearing?  If that's correct, would I measure the inside diameter of the pinion collar and the outside diameter of the shaft metal along with the height of both (presuming they are the same)?  Then take those measurements and look for a bearing that comes close? 

I'd appreciate any advice or thoughts.

Thanks,

Matt
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to.

handi2

It looks to me that I would replace the brass bushing that I see on the end of the pinion gear.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

PacRat

Matt,
I have a method for determining unknown bearing sizes, then I put them in a spreadsheet for future reference. I haven't done it in a while but I'll explain as best I can. I measure in mm, decimal, and fraction. I put these in three columns per bearing. If one isn't even close to a normal size I just ignore it. Then I start searching for the closest bearing available at that size. A few thousandths usually works within the manufacture's tolerance. Sometimes it will surprise you what fits. Like Japanese reels with fractional bearings. I'll look for my chart and try to post it.

-Mike 

PacRat

Here's my chart. This method hasn't failed me yet.

reelynew

Thank you Keith,

What's interesting is the "Shaft Metal" bushing on the far left fits into the "Pinion Collar" so it appears like it's two bushings spinning around each other.  My thought is to remove both and replace it with a bearing that has an internal diameter matching the Pinion collar and an external diameter that matches the Shaft Metal.  I grabbed those names from the schematic.  To me they both look like bushings. 

Thank you Mike - I'm going to get my calipers out and try out your method and I appreciate your chart.

Matt

philaroman

would guess "shaft metal" is weird early Japanese translation of "bushing"
as Keith suggested, measure THAT -- likely same dimensions as standard Daiwa bearing

is collar keyed to pinion?   if so, keep it; if not, still keep it  ;D

Gfish

Same question. Interesting bushing arrangement. Checked out the reel on "second chance Tackle" (U-tube) and Dennis got down to the pinion and just put oil on top, without dissecting the parts...? Can you separate your pinion parts take a picture? Thanks, Matt.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

alantani

the large bushing should be replaced easily with a bearing.  the small collar should be part of the pinion gear and is not something that you can replace.  i think....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

reelynew

Thank you all for the continued comments.  I'll take some photos of the reel as soon as I can and post.  I'm just curious what mechanical significance of having two rotating bushings around the pinion gear.  From my recollection both of them have smooth interiors with no key.   

Bryan Young

Are you indicating the pinion collar slide between the pinion gear and the shaft metal?  If so, I would measure the ID of the pinion collar and the OD of the shaft metal to see if there is one bearing that would fit.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

reelynew

Thank you Bryan,

That's exactly what is going on and what I was thinking of doing.  I've attached the schematic for this reel.  These parts would be 30 (pinion collar), 31 (shaft metal) and 32 (pinion gear). 

Does anyone know why Daiwa two rotating bushings vs. one around the pinion gear (less friction)? 

Thanks for all the replies

Bryan Young

It's using the two brass bushings as a bearing.  I hope you can find a bearing that will fit.  I did that to a Penn 105 (replaced the bushing with a bearing), and the bearing cost more than the value of the reel, but it was a nice upgrade.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

reelynew

Thank you for the help.  I have some interesting measurements so far.

The ID of the inside bearing is 8.98mm or 0.353 inches
The OD of the outside bearing is 20.02mm or 0.788 inches
The height of the inside bearing is 6.18mm or 0.243 inches
The height of the outside bearing is 6.05mm or 0.238 inches

It seems like the inside bearing might be slightly taller to help accommodate for the pinion washers.

The numbers seem to match up closely with a metric sized 9x20x6 bearing and seems to be a common bearing size. 

If I were to purchase one, would someone be able to recommend a good bearing and supplier who will pre-grease/lubricate them?

Thanks again!

Matt

handi2

I'll be glad to send you one if I have it. I can check right now
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

reelynew

Thank you Keith!  I will send you a pm.