Is there no way into this reel?

Started by Paul Roberts, January 12, 2023, 12:29:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Roberts

I have a BPS Offshore Angler OM20HA casting reel. I cannot find a way in! There are two tiny screws on the face plate. None on the tail plate. But the plate doesn't budge. There is a tiny gap I can fit a tiny screwdriver into and pry up the plate just a crack. Here's a photo of how far I've got. Any ideas??

Bryan Young

you need to remove the left side plate first.  Those are normally a sliding of the side plate counter-clockwise.  Once that opens up, you need to remove the spool which will give you access to the screws under the spool.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

handi2

There also may be one hidden. It's close to the worm gear.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Paul Roberts

Hi, Bryan. Thanks for the reply. I was psyched! But, no go. Left plate doesn't budge. I twisted as hard as I could.

handi2, there are no other screws. At least accessible from where I'm at with it. I see the tail end of one but the head would be under the face plate. There is a Philips screw behind the free spool release thumb bar. But there is no access.

I'm guessing that Bryan is close, or hot! But... that plate doesn't budge by my twisting it.

JasonGotaProblem

See of one of the posts pulls, like a spring loaded pin. It may be the same as my abu blackmax where you pull the pin then pivot the tail plate and the spool comes free.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

JasonGotaProblem

Like this note the pin in first and 2nd pic

Paul Roberts

JGP! Getting close here. There is a logo on the tail plate that depresses! It's a button. And voila! Thanks guys! 🙏

Gfish

Interesting way to do it. BPS= Bass Pro Shop. Who makes it? Offshore Anglers? And if so, who they is?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Gfish on January 12, 2023, 03:57:27 PMInteresting way to do it. BPS= Bass Pro Shop. Who makes it? Offshore Anglers? And if so, who they is?
Dollars to donuts it's a private label made by pure fishing

philaroman

historically, many Cabela's/BPS store-brand better models were OEMed by real brands,
but it is what it is when you buy it -- you get replacement within warranty & that's it
ZERO support/parts/service...  best you can do is figure out exactly what
brand-name platform it's built on & HOPE that most parts are the same or compatible

Bryan Young

hooray, I'm glad you found the secret key.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Paul Roberts

Thanks, all. You know I have other reels that open via a twist off tail plate. Never seen a button like that. Kinda nifty actually. It being an essentially no name reel I started to wonder if it wasn't sealed and disposable! Considered a hammer for a bit there, if anything to find out just how it opened. Glad you two stepped in, Bryan and Jason. 😁

The reel is made in Korea. Couldn't find anything on it on-line. I keep manuals but couldn't find this one.

I'm not a good judge of the internals in newer reels. There is a fair amount of nylon (?) parts. I opened her up bc it was skipping a bit when the clutch was popped out of freespool. Shouldn't be doing that considering the hours on the reel. The clutch linkage appeared to be mostly nylon/plastic. By comparison the Bantam Mags I worked on recently have nice metal (aluminum?) linkage. We'll see how this BPS holds up.