Scored a deal (i think) on a Penn 320GTI graphite!

Started by pjstevko, January 14, 2023, 03:10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

Was out in Clovis today with my wife and I hit up a few antique stores looking for rods/ reels while she shopped. A couple shops had overpriced jigmasters, 349s, squidders, abu garcias and a couple tld 15s. The last stop had one case with a single reel in it and to my surprise the reel seemed reasonably priced for what it is....a graphite Penn 320 GTI priced at $35!

I asked to look at the reel and it felt great, wasn't ceased, handle turned great, drag wasn't sticky and the line guide was buttery smooth. I must admit I'm not at all familiar with this reel but I figured for $35 it'd be a great loaner rockfish reel.

While talking with the store owner I mentioned it would need some maintenance and new line and she says "well what do you wanna pay for it then?" I was kinda shocked and said huh... She says make an offer and I'll call the seller and I said how's $25. She called the owner and he countered with $28 and I said SOLD!

I'm not sure it's a stellar deal but for less than $30 I'm super stoked!

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

pointbob

Patience comes to those who wait

Gfish

Supposed to be a great graphite Penn. 2-BB, stainless s. Levelwind parts, 4.3:1 gears(ss pinion, bronze main), 320 yds. 20#, one piece graphite frame. MSRP in 2002: $80, Average price on eBay bout $50.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

steelfish

Great price !!

My daughter caugth her best Yellowtail on a 320gt.
I think, its one of the best reel with a great line winder system
The Baja Guy

Bill B

I hope you checked the rear view mirror all the way home for the police, because that's a steal!  I have 2 and love them.  Basically it has 113H drive train in a graphite levelwind.  Only way to make it better is a lever drag.  Keep it under 15# of drag and it's a great reel.  The Boss thinks highly of them.  Buy a couple sets of levelwind parts and your good to go.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

pjstevko

pjstevko

I removed all the mono off the spool this morning and did a good visual inspection and there isn't a speck of corrosion on the entire reel!

I'm assuming this was a fresh water reel.

Now all I gotta do is load it up with some 50# braid and she'll be rockfish ready!

El Pescador

PJ!

Remember to add a NEW BLADE and HANDLE from our VERY OWN "MAXED OUT" Ted!!!!   Dominick is sure glad he did!!!!!   

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=33209.0

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Hardy Boy

Good price for sure. If you ever need parts let me know. I have a ton of good used parts including spools and frames and all the other stuff.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

pjstevko

Quote from: Hardy Boy on January 15, 2023, 12:55:28 AMGood price for sure. If you ever need parts let me know. I have a ton of good used parts including spools and frames and all the other stuff.

Cheers:

Todd

I'll keep that in mind, thanks Todd!